Forks: WAIT!!! I"ve read everything!

Hi all, I'm new on the forum and have several bikes (all different makes) as well as an old RGV250 so I fit the Suzuki mould.

I've recently bought a 1993 GSXR 750 WP/WN, and it's basically just a frame, engine, tank and loom. I'm gonna need an entire front end. I want something modern, USD. So my question is: Which entire front ends are plug and play?

I have read everything on every flipping forum, and I can find fork diameters, offsets, and the like but NOTHING on stem length. Using a bearing kit I can adapt whichever, but which front ends will fit with NO stem modification? Any ideas?

Once that's digested, i'l be asking for the simplest rear end conversions also...

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated as I've now spent a week reading everything I can but with no answers.

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 1

Ah that’s part of the situation: I don’t have the original yokes and therefore no stem either. So I was kind of hoping that an entire front end transplant may be possible. Otherwise I’ve gotta buy an entire front end and a set of standard yokes.

Incidentlaly: if I DID do that, how would I know if the original stem could be pressed into a later yoke? Wouldn’t I need to know the stem diameter in order to do that?

Lower bearing size of steering stem can give you some indication but that method is not fool proof

Different brands or models may have a step up in diameter around the press fit bit.

Some are 0.5 mm smaller but if you knurdle the smaller stem you get away with it. 

Some need a resleeve, some need the lower yoke hole enlarged , some need to be welded.

Make it up as to get it.   

If all fails you can get a custom stem made ( €75 - €100 ish ) 

Fork lenght is waaay more important... then the weight of both bikes or you need to get them resprung or revalved.

Edited by Blubber
  • 3 weeks later...

WP/N seems to have a stem length similar to just about any Modern ish Suzuki, but if you look at the frame design, it's fairly easy to spot that Anything from SRAD on will probably be a bit short in the fork. 

I ended up going Trumpet, cause they have and up and over frame design and the 595 955i dropped straight in. Many things were stolen from the Hamamatsu UJB design school, I think.

If you want something more USD, ZX10's have a long fork and people have made a mix and match easily enough using Suzuki yokes, i think it's just a matter of knowing the fork stanchion diameters and then messing a little with spacers for wheels and brakes. 

Haven't actually tried myself, but I have a mate that knows if you want a little more info.

11 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

In the info section there are some tables about swapping front ends, I was tidying the garage the other day and realised what a hoarder I am.:$

I ned to get rid of some of them, :)

Any of these can be made to fit..:tu

AN55md0.jpg

5yGi5tr.jpg

:$:o

• Like 1
9 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

In the info section there are some tables about swapping front ends, I was tidying the garage the other day and realised what a hoarder I am.:$

I ned to get rid of some of them, :)

Any of these can be made to fit..:tu

AN55md0.jpg

5yGi5tr.jpg

Crikey!!! What are this lot off? I was thinking maybe K6 might be an option... I'd prefer to go with Suzuki if possible.

4 hours ago, BenedictIreland said:

Hmmm which are nearest length and nearest stem length to WN/WP? Any idea?

Slingshots, water cooled ones, srads, busa, TL and  k series gsxr's all have pretty much the same stem length and can be fitted with nothing more than a funky sized top bearing that is available off the shelf.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ANYTHING from the GSXR parts bin from K1 onwards will fit, and when I mean fit, it just slots in and you're good to go (almost)

I have just tricked out my '93 with K8 forks it is plug and play except steering stop, top stem bearing and the buggery issue that you need an electronic speedo

Edited by Joseph
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like swap could be  easy. be interesting to see how easy it works out. Good thing about OSS alot of knowledge on forums. Look forward to seeing bike when it`s done

Edited by GS1000 78
changed message