Oil cooled OEM carbs - push/pull throttle or not?

Dezza

I have just obtained a set of BST38s from a GSXR 750L (1990; Uk market???). I am a little surprised that they do not accept a push-pull throttle and only take the opener cable. This had me wondering, so to enable a further update on the carb compatability article (see above), I would like to collate some further info. What I would like to know is which OEM carbs for specific OSS oil cooled bikes had a push-pull or not. Also, I would like to know if there was any variation between markets for the 'same' model. The reason I ask is that I think push-pull became the norm around 1991-92 to standardise machines meant for different markets but some bikes had them prior to this. So presumably, all Blandits have push-pull. This information will be useful for carb interchangability between models because it will be clear if a new throttle cable housing/right switch unit is needed or not. I will start:

GSXR 1100 slabside: 1986-1988, UK market, opener cable only.

GSXR 750L slingshot: 1990, UK market, opener only.

Blandit 1200 Mk 1 and MK2, UK market, push-pull

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1

I ran some 38-s on my 11 K motor with opener cable only , 

little holes drilled out the slides

Spring strength was very good , suitable for holding up a large ladies draws , I can’t remember if I did anything to or swapped the spring 

Quick action throttle same slide travel but gave me the moto cross sensation , gets me excited 

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 5:14 AM, Dezza said:

I have just obtained a set of BST38s from a GSXR 750L (1990; Uk market???). I am a little surprised that they do not accept a push-pull throttle and only take the opener cable. This had me wondering, so to enable a further update on the carb compatability article (see above), I would like to collate some further info. What I would like to know is which OEM carbs for specific OSS oil cooled bikes had a push-pull or not.

Blandit 1200 Mk 1 and MK2, UK market, push-pull

Blandit 1200 MKi and MKII US use push/pull.

• Like 1

BST38SS from 750W (1993-French market) does have operate plate for push-pull cable. 

Surprised to see that.

For me, a BST (membrane carbs) need working with only 1 cable. 

Less rpm/depression close the carbs...

So don't understand why second cable was needed for doing what's anyway already happened.

I've tested the two system on same bike with this BST38 W carbs. 1cable or push-pull. 

Works the same/no gain.