1100E project

Will

Having taken ownership of this 84 1100E a couple of weeks ago, I managed to have a good look over this one-owner US imported bike and see if I could breathe life into it.  It was sold as a non-runner as it wouldn't crank via the starter.

IMG_20200719_155634.thumb.jpg.382d9b2e256a8d2794ffc3e80edb61ff.jpg

37k miles isn't much for one of these motors, the black chrome pipes are pretty mint too.

IMG_20200719_155712.thumb.jpg.1b6d572a05bbe4db6f99ac6805a790f0.jpg

It looks better in the pics than it belies, but overall she's not bad.  First job was to fix the seat lock mechanism as the cast pin had sheared off in the lock.  Carefully drilling and tapping allowed me to loctite a stud in and now it works fine.

Next was to see why it won't crank, and I traced the problem to a siezed starter motor.  After removing and stripping the starter motor I found that all four magnets had come away from the casing.  problem is that adding any adhesive to the back of the magnets will place them too close to the windings and will rub, so I'll find a second hand one.  For now though, I carefully positioned the magnets back where they should be  which allows the motor to work for now.

Upon inspection, the carbs are gummed up and won't hold fuel or allow slow running.  This is a real bug bear of mine, as adding fuel stabilizer would solve all the carb problems.  Still, in the deal I also got these lovely Mikuni 40mm flatslides so I'll fit those instead.  I've been informed that the 40mm flatslides are worth good coin??

image5.jpeg.2425c7cd39b1ab9cb5f51d40fa845c9f.jpeg

Anyway, with a good dousing of brake cleaner over the air filter element and a stab on the starter button she fired into life (briefly) but the motor sounds very smooth and quiet as it's .

It'll get a bloody good service, I'll make all new cables and hope to have it back on the road soon.

Another question is regarding the side stand.  Farkin ell it leans over a lot?? 

IMG_20200719_155655.thumb.jpg.f27430db82fbb4e4b1ff9eea08880cd9.jpg

The stand looks totally as it should be, and I also took any play out with a shim, but is this right??

Thanks, Will

• Like 4

Looks in great shape:) My guess is that RS40s will be too big, even for a heavily breathed on road bike. The stock carbs are easy to work on and to re-furbish unless any of the pilot air screws have siezed. If so, they can be next to impossible to get out:(