Grnd clearance w/ 17's and 4-1exhaust

4 hours ago, Poldark said:

Would slightly longer forks give the needed ground clearance?  What size fork tubes: 41mm?  A whole bunch of different H-D models ran 41mm Showa forks.  The tubes may be able to swap out with slightly longer ones.  There are plenty of used H-D fork tubes and aftermarket replacement tubes available.   Take a look at "Forks by Frank" in the US.  They've been in business for over 50 years and will make nearly any length fork tubes for nearly any motorcycle model.

Sure. The forks are sv1000's so they are 46mm. The gsx1400 uses the same forks only they are longer so they would have been optimal but you can't find them over here. 

I can get new longer  tubes but won't the spring and damper assembly be to short then? 

7 hours ago, gorbys said:

Sure. The forks are sv1000's so they are 46mm. The gsx1400 uses the same forks only they are longer so they would have been optimal but you can't find them over here. 

I can get new longer  tubes but won't the spring and damper assembly be to short then? 

You would need to add a spacer.  It could be made from metal tube or even PVC pipe.  The length of the spacer would be the difference in length between the old and new tube. 

On 7/28/2020 at 1:15 AM, Poldark said:

You would need to add a spacer.  It could be made from metal tube or even PVC pipe.  The length of the spacer would be the difference in length between the old and new tube. 

That's understood, but what about the rebound adjuster? That's connected to the damper rod assembly thingy isn't it? It's been awhile since I disassembled one of these forks so I don't remember how it all connected 

1 hour ago, Poldark said:

Spacer goes on top of the long spring, inside the fork tube, before installing the top cap.  Make the spacers a little longer if you want more spring pre-load for a firmer ride.  46mm: that's a heavy duty fork.  You have a source for them?

Sv1000 and gsx1400. 72cm and 77/78 ish cm's. 

I know where the spacer goes I was more worried about the rebound adjuster and how that will be connected if you install longer tubes 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, gorbys said:

Thanks. 

On another note I might have measured my forks wrong by a cm, it seems they are 71.5 and not 73cm... :$

Update on this as I just dismantled my forks to replace the seals and bushings and i measured my fork springs to be 260mm long, the service limit is 290mm. So I'm guessing they're lowering springs or can springs actually sag that much? The forks have done no more than 12000km's of driving. 
measured the forks fully extended and they measured 73cm from center of axle to top of fork tube like they should be

25 minutes ago, gorbys said:

Update on this as I just dismantled my forks to replace the seals and bushings and i measured my fork springs to be 260mm long, the service limit is 290mm. So I'm guessing they're lowering springs or can springs actually sag that much? The forks have done no more than 12000km's of driving. 
measured the forks fully extended and they measured 73cm from center of axle to top of fork tube like they should be

no they won't sag that much, you could make up longer spacers to bring the height up but you will loose some suspension travel with a shorter spring.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 11:08 PM, fab said:

no they won't sag that much, you could make up longer spacers to bring the height up but you will loose some suspension travel with a shorter spring.

I asked around on the sv forums, Suzuki changed some stuff in the forks ca 2005 incl spring lenght so they where correct length for my year forks

On 7/17/2020 at 8:11 PM, gorbys said:

78'GS750 with Sv1000s fork swap and b12 rear swinger. Harris 4-1 exhaust.

I have none. Well okay I have some, about 55mm from the work bench up to the collector as it sits now. Subtract from that whatever sag from me straddling it and I'll probably beach on the first speedbump. So is anyone else with similar mods having issues with ground clearance and did you do anything to help it? 

I guess the obvious alternative is to swap the exhaust for a 4-2-1 but I really like the Harris exhaust even though its brused and battered after my mum falling over countless times xD ads to the character of the bike. 

Is it true the gsx1100 engines are taller? I'm putting one in this coming winter, If so how much and does this account to increase ground clearance? 

Another thing I was thinking was making new engine mounts to raise the engine higher up in the frame?

IMG_20200717_200712441.jpg

This is my GSX1100EF with ALFA pipe and GSXR750 -88 frontfork 43mm stanchions and as you can se even shorter than yours. Still i got 115mm clearence.188474805_IMG_20641.thumb.JPG.7292665c641e1f46dc45496d6118a926.JPG

1093292361_IMG_20651.thumb.JPG.0017bf27850c512273e50fdc2fb731b1.JPG

2087915926_IMG_20661.thumb.JPG.b643062a7e49836d547d029919fcf98e.JPG

214707891_IMG_20671.thumb.JPG.24cc5728984a8a4af03faefd0c131b8b.JPG

And precisely as you did i got my frontwheel in the  frontwheelholder.

37 minutes ago, Askamaskinservice said:

This is my GSX1100EF with ALFA pipe and GSXR750 -88 frontfork 43mm stanchions and as you can se even shorter than yours. Still i got 115mm clearence.

3 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

Can you take a picture from the front of the bike so we can see your clipons, i guess you have them ontop of your tripple trees and thats why you loose an extra 50 or 60mm.

//Hasse.

Nope, my forks sit flush with the top tripple

3 hours ago, Joseph said:

I fitted 600 SRAD forks (SHORT !!!) to my Katana, with 18 inch slab rim.

Bear in mind diameter of rim doesn't necessarily influence the diameter of the wheel, it the wall ratio of the tyre thqt does that

I have the marving 4 into 1 exhaust you mentioned precisely to ensure good clearance.

Looks good, would seem like my best option (y)

37 minutes ago, Askamaskinservice said:

This is my GSX1100EF with ALFA pipe and GSXR750 -88 frontfork 43mm stanchions and as you can se even shorter than yours. Still i got 115mm clearence.

And precisely as you did i got my frontwheel in the  frontwheelholder.

Yeah, but look at how close to the engine that exhaust is, the harris exhaust has several cm of clearance between the sump and the pipes. If they where as close to the sump as your exhaust is this thread probably wouldnt have seen the light of day ;)

• Like 1