Forking nightmare

paddle

Hi guys the seals were leaking on my 750m forks and on closer inspection they are really worn out chrome all gone around the seal area.What are my options is it possible to remove the bottoms of the forks if so how do they come apart ?? And is re chroming an option ?? This project I'm doing is getting quite pricey.

Thanks 

Fork rechroming used to be relatively common when forks were RWU - harder to do with USD types due to disassembly required to permit grinding to size. Also chroming places not so common due to the PC / environmental bollux. It may be lots cheaper to buy better set of forks !

Give these folk a call http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/ they re-chromed my forks a few years ago and it worked out about half the price of a new set of stanchions. I don't know how much it will be now but their work is good and my forks are still good today. They did a collect and delivery as part of the cost and they removed the stanchions from the fork bottoms which is a real pain in the arse on USD forks. But like Gixer1460 says it may prove a lot cheaper to buy a good second hand set. Best do some research on the prices mate.

• Like 1

Cheers guys it just seems the donor bike I purchased for my project is a righ lemon everything I remove from it is knackered even the main fork bodies are dented corroded and generally  f##ked  I've looked at a few re chroming sites cheapest is £175 for the pair. 

On 7/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, Ted M said:

Give these folk a call http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/ they re-chromed my forks a few years ago and it worked out about half the price of a new set of stanchions. I don't know how much it will be now but their work is good and my forks are still good today. They did a collect and delivery as part of the cost and they removed the stanchions from the fork bottoms which is a real pain in the arse on USD forks. But like Gixer1460 says it may prove a lot cheaper to buy a good second hand set. Best do some research on the prices mate.

I can vouch for their work, they are very good. I think they offer a strip/rebuild service, but they prefer the bare stanchions (if I remember correctly).