Gsx1100E tranny problem

I have bought rebuilded engine for my GSX1100E. Clutch basked assembly was missing so i bolted up mine. When i fired up bike for carb synchronizing there were no problems. When i wanted to test gearbox (on table with wheel raised) i noticed it jumped in gear. Ok maybe it was in first gear allready, im not sure. Turned of bike, found netural with no problem. Started over and here somes sound from gearbox like it will jump in gear by its own. 

Engine was rebuilded by professional mechanic. Only thing i did was to tighten clutch basket nut (30mm). I admit i used dewalt cordless that could do 200nm (20kg) torqu and then secured it with washer. So this is the only thing that i did that has somekind connection with transmission. That nut should have 5-7kg torque. Could it be that i over tighten that nut and now whole shaft is beeing under too much tension?? 

To me it looks like a cog is not seated properly in the gear shifter drum. But hey... i am not a motorcycle mechanic by trade.

Engine out... flip it over and remove the oil pan for inspection. Thats what i would do if the rebuilder of your engine hasnt got better ideas.

• Like 1

Is your cordless driver an impact/rattle gun? That may have bounced something on the selector mechanism out of position.

I'd say it's definitely a case of opening it up to see what's going on. If you don't the best you can hope for is the nagging doubt at the back of your mind, the worst case would be it becoming very expensive.

13 hours ago, _luke_ said:

I have bought rebuilded engine for my GSX1100E. Clutch basked assembly was missing so i bolted up mine. When i fired up bike for carb synchronizing there were no problems. When i wanted to test gearbox (on table with wheel raised) i noticed it jumped in gear. Ok maybe it was in first gear allready, im not sure. Turned of bike, found netural with no problem. Started over and here somes sound from gearbox like it will jump in gear by its own. 

Engine was rebuilded by professional mechanic. Only thing i did was to tighten clutch basket nut (30mm). I admit i used dewalt cordless that could do 200nm (20kg) torqu and then secured it with washer. So this is the only thing that i did that has somekind connection with transmission. That nut should have 5-7kg torque. Could it be that i over tighten that nut and now whole shaft is beeing under too much tension?? 

What happens if you have the clutch lever pulled in "clutch disengaged" ?  

i would take the clutch basket out and check the oil pump drive gear is the correct one and engaged properly 

i would also check the gear shift shaft is correctly indexed to the shift drum 

• Like 1