Gsx Efe 530 or 520 chain?

13 hours ago, clairetoo said:

another of those wonderful chain myths.........while each individual link is a tiny bit lighter , you are gonna fit sprockets with more teeth , and will need more links of the smaller chain to cover the same length........so if someone can tell me where the weight saving comes from , go ahead punk - make my day

(106 link 630 , is the same length as 127 links of 530.......and to keep some swingarm clearance 15/42 will normally be swapped for 17/48)

so have you actually weighed them to back up your theory? or are you a engineer and not a mechanic  

Racing? Every bit of weight savings makes a difference.  I don't race, so minute weight savings are negligible.  I'm working on getting a neglected 82 GS750E (GSX750) running.  The 630 chain was in questionable condition, but the sprockets looked fine.  A 630 chain went on and now I spend time and money sorting out other problems.  If it needed new sprockets too, I would have gone to 530.  Some of us like the look of the big chain, others don't.  Your time and money is going into your bike, you decide.  530, 525, and 520 will all look the same from the side view; only from behind can you tell the difference.  Theoretically, the narrow chains should have shorter service life due to reduced contact area, but I don't know how that plays out in the real world.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:24 PM, Poldark said:

Racing? 

Me? No, just nice Yoshi restomod thing. Fast road work mainly. Front sprocket to clear the rear rim and the rest because why not :) Completely agree with you to use up what you've got first and deal with other things (y). I did that when I built my Harrisish first time 

• 2 years later...
On 7/5/2020 at 8:15 PM, wraith said:

530 on the GSX1157ET  520 on the gsx1100f powered Kat.

Never tryed a 525 might give it a go next time I need chain and sprockets.

Any chance you could tell me what chain to frame clearance you had on the kat with the 1100f motor please 

cheers