Gsx Efe 530 or 520 chain?

I've never needed to use any,

the only thing I found, that being a smaller items (for the same teeth) and if you have the back jacked up you may find the chain hitting the swing arm.

Big debate as to whether you need to alter the teeth size xD I asked that question once and it went on for about 3 pages with some big arguments ;)

I found (on the Kat) going from a 530 chain with 47 rear and 15 front down to a 520 chain with same number of teeth the revs where lower in top gear, as if I'd put one smaller on the rear.

4 hours ago, wraith said:

I found (on the Kat) going from a 530 chain with 47 rear and 15 front down to a 520 chain with same number of teeth the revs where lower in top gear, as if I'd put one smaller on the rear.

If the tooth ratio is 15/47, the gearing is the same regardless of chain size. The 530 525 & 520 chains are all the same pitch too, the chain is just thinner so uses thinner sprockets

Edited by coombehouse
More info
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, wraith said:

I've never needed to use any,

the only thing I found, that being a smaller items (for the same teeth) and if you have the back jacked up you may find the chain hitting the swing arm.

Big debate as to whether you need to alter the teeth size xD I asked that question once and it went on for about 3 pages with some big arguments ;)

+1 ^^^^^^

22 hours ago, coombehouse said:

If the tooth ratio is 15/47, the gearing is the same regardless of chain size. The 530 525 & 520 chains are all the same pitch too, the chain is just thinner so uses thinner sprockets

(y)

Metric Dimensions

Chain Pitch Width Roller Diameter
415 12.70mm 4.88mm 7.75mm
420 12.70mm 6.35mm 7.75mm
428 12.70mm 7.75mm 8.51mm
520 15.88mm 6.35mm 10.16mm
525 15.88mm 7.85mm 10.16mm
530 15.88mm 9.53mm 10.16mm
532 15.88mm 9.53mm 11.10mm
630 19.05mm 9.53mm 11.91mm
632 19.05mm 9.66mm 12.68mm

Side plate thickness varies with grade and make of chain. As a rule, 1.5 to 2.6 mm. It is important for safety to join chain with the manufacturers correct Rivet Soft Link or Split Spring Link.
Size, Manufacturer, and grade are often stamped on some of the side plates.

• Like 1

I am guessing that the myth that changing chain size alters the gearing won't go away is because often a chain size change on bikes like OSS machines goes hand-in-hand with a wheel size change to run more modern tyres. The wider more modern tyres have low profiles so the circumference of the tyre can be smaller than the tyre previously on the machine, which lowers the gearing overall. Hence, even though the final drive gearing ratio is the same the bike will ride as if it's lower geared. This is true but the cause is the change in tyre size not a change in chain size.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, fab said:

530 weigh a lot less than a 630, unsprung weight is better 

another of those wonderful chain myths.........while each individual link is a tiny bit lighter , you are gonna fit sprockets with more teeth , and will need more links of the smaller chain to cover the same length........so if someone can tell me where the weight saving comes from , go ahead punk - make my day

(106 link 630 , is the same length as 127 links of 530.......and to keep some swingarm clearance 15/42 will normally be swapped for 17/48)

What about a 525 or a 520 chain? If 1.2 more links are required in order for a 5/8 chain of the same length as a 6/8 chain then each link would only have to be (1/127) X 1.2 lighter than each 6/8 link to break-even. If the difference is more than that, then the 5/8 chain will be lighter. That's without looking at sprockets or variation in mass among different chain types of the same size. I think I have a 630 chain, a 530 and a 525 in my shed and I have some scales so I will weigh things up when I can be arsed to do so:)