82 Katana 1100 - no keys

The project Katana I’m pulling to bits hasn’t got any keys at the moment, they’re in the process of being ‘found’. That’s not a problem as I have removed the seat and fuel tank from underneath. What I’d like to do if possible is see if I can get it to run in the absence of the keys.

unplugging the loom off the rear of the ignition switch there is a 4 terminal plug with 5 wires. Red. Orange. Brown. A doubled green

Red is power, and if it is connected to the orange then I get life on the dash. What are the others and can I use them to power the starter button? 

No need to pull any wiring, or remove seat or tank. The 1100 (and 750) Katana are so stupidly easy to "hotwire" because of the exposed fuse box I'm a bit hesitant to mention it openly on here..  :/

With connecting the red to the orange the starter button will have power. Unless you flipped the kill switch that is.

First get yourself a wiring schematic though.. Pulling any wires before actually knowing what you're doing is a no no.

Edited by arnout

Most older Suzukis for the UK market have a 4 wire ignition switch, that when on creates two independent circuits by linking orange-red and brown-grey. Hotwiring via access to the 4 wire connector for the ignition switch therefore isn't exactly rocket surgey:) As Arnout states, look at the correct wiring diagram for your bike and it will be clear how you can start the bike without using the ignition switch.

Edited by Dezza
  • 4 weeks later...