GS700 E weird sound

Ok here is a weird one that has got me stumped. GS700E, I'm trying to get the carbs jetted right and its giving me fits. Previous owner has pod filters on it but stock exhaust. While I was riding it around the block the other day, it had this strange sound, best was to describe  it was like alot of air escaping. Phssssssst!! Lol... scared the crap outta me....never been on a bike that has done that. Almost sounds like the bypass on a turbo.....Happened once before. Have no clue what this could be. Definitely not the tires and I doubt it could be the front fork air assist because is sound like alot of air. Probably not air escaping but that's just what it sounds like....what could this be?  Transmission?

While I was riding it around the block the other day, it had this strange sound, best was to describe  it was like alot of air escaping. Phssssssst!!

Can you describe the type of riding you were doing when  this event occured e.g.

-in gear/neutral/clutch pulled in

-idling

-deaccelerating

-accelerating 

-between gear changes

-sittiing at some lights/intersection, etc.

Just to give us an idea what motor was doing.