Slingshot running issue

Meerkat

Hello everyone,

I aint no Gerry Burgess so please be kind with 'words of wisdom'!

After rebuilding the bike I have taken it for a few short runs and unfortunately found a strange issue.

When started (on choke) it will idle and then increase as bike heats up and choke isnt required (as per normal) but when i gradually knock choke completely it dies right at the bottom. Put a few mm's of choke back on and its fine. Then with tap in ON position it tends to bog down and stall again at junctions and without choke isnt interested.

But weirdly with tap turned to RESERVE it runs absolutely fine! Put it back onto ON and it will run but when you ask for more gas it bogs down before clearing its throat and going.....but still wants to stall at standstill ?!?!?!

Everything seems plugged and plumbed in OK with no lines kinked or trapped. AND have replaced with new tap/petcock set up and running fresh fuel.

I know people often say that these bikes run badly with these individual filters (they were on the bike when I got it) but the fact it runs on Reserve is a puzzle ?!?!?

Not sure if it needs some carb cleaner running through it (maybe sea foam as I had great success with that on an old ZRX)  or just a bloody good run/thrash to get plenty of fresh fuel going through it (its been standing A LONG TIME!).

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by Meerkat

Which carbs/engine/etc? What do you mean with a 'rebuild'?

First idea: Is the vacuum line connected from the tap to one of the inlets, is the vacuum still working? Connect some transparent hose to the tap and suck the vacuum on on, see if it pours some petrol. 

1 minute ago, Jelly said:

Which carbs/engine/etc? What do you mean with a 'rebuild'?

First idea: Is the vacuum line connected from the tap to one of the inlets, is the vacuum still working? Connect some transparent hose to the tap and suck the vacuum on on, see if it pours some petrol. 

Thanks for reply.

Standard 1127 engine and carbs.  Does have aftermarket system and filters (as per when I bought it). Not sure if its jetted to suit, was 'told' it was on purchase. 

Engine not cracked open, rebuild meant chassis etc.

Will look into lines again later tonight.

My puzzle is why it works OK in RESERVE and not when tap is turned to ON ?!?!?