78 GS1000E Carb Kit

Inherited my father’s pride and joy last year but due to his deterioration he never got round to making the old girl run as smooth as she could. She always pulled hard on full throttle but at tick over she would sometime cut out. Carbs have been stripped and issue identified, broken and logged pilot mixture screw tip OR the “pilot air screw” as per the book. I have been able to remove the broken tip and clear the hole….phew!

Makes sense at this time to purchase a carb repair kit, however, I cannot locate a kit which comes with the correct screw(s). Every kit I look at the screw appears to be of a different shape.

Attached are the removed screws and their naughty tips!

Here is what I think I need. The shape matches that of the non-broken screw in my pic.

https://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GS750-GS850-GS1000-MIKUNI-FUEL-MIXTURE-SCREW-KAWASAKI-PILOT-MIXTURE-SCREW/123104873696

This carb kit doesn’t match the screw shapes I need

https://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GS-1000-1978-1979-Keyster-Carb-Carburettor-Rebuild-Kit/113852410760

Anyone had this issue? Any one got tips? Do I need to purchase the carb kit and then the screw separately? 

Thanks in advance

Pilot Screws.jpg

Pilot Screw Tips.jpg

#1 GS1000.jpg

#2 GS1000.jpg

I was about to say ones for VM26s & other for CVs but your bike has 26s on?

The "kit" should be for your carbs, so not sure where that goes wrong?

Unless the screws that have broke (3 of them?) are wrong for carbs & that's why they broke, just too pointy?

Edited by CockneyRick

Hi CockneyRick

Thanks for the reply. 

You would think that this kit would be the right one but on appearence the pilot screw looks to be different. 

I have attached photos from the original manual which shows the pointy ones (#2) and when you cross reference this from the kit it doesn't compare, this makes me question the kits I'm looking at, the all look like this? 

I'm wondering if anyone on here has the same carbs and have experience in this area? 

IMG_20200630_093319.jpg

IMG_20200630_093246.jpg

46 minutes ago, FeckityFeck said:

I'm on the roundside vm26ss so may not be the same?

It's a real nice offer but wouldnt want you going through all the trouble stripping down and having to replace gaskets and stuff. 

Do you know of a carb expert that can be contacted? 

Already off the bike, i'll do it in a bit ;)