Choke lever doesn't stay engaged GT500

Anyone have any ideas as to why my choke lever won't stay on..??  I had the carbs professionally cleaned ((maybe t they ae too clean now....???) as when I bought the bike it had several badgers nesting in it.

The lever and linkage work fine on the left carb. I apply the lever with the right carb not connected and the lever latches on the little spring clip no problem but....I connect the right carb and there doesn't seem to be enough tension in the retaining clip to withstand the return springs of both carbs together.

At the moment to keep the choke on I have to pop a clothes peg under the right carb choke lever which doesn't add much to my street cred (low enough already!)

• 2 years later...

My GT500 also came with a small clothes peg to keep the choke open.  I don't have this issue with my Kettle, and cannot see anything in parts diagram for the Mikunis that would lock the lever in place whilst warming up.

My GT500 has also been fully refurbed, do you think that the far choke plunger does not need it's spring ?, as both plungers working together are very strongly sprung.

FORGET THE ABOVE, THE CARBS HAVE BEEN REBUILT AND WHOEVER DID IT MISSED OFF / LOST THE DETENT SPRING, HENCE THE CHOKE ARM OFFERS NO RESISTANCE TO THE PLUNGER SPRINGS !

Edited by Megsdad