Bandit 1200 turbo choice

Hi all 

I’ve been been looking at previous threads and see the popular choice for the bandit 12 blow job is a TD04 or TD05.

i gather the 04 is better suited to quick spooling and the 05 for higher up.

im looking to get a fleabay one either refurbished or new copy, has anyone had strong results with any others.

details are 1216 busa pistons, blow through arrangement and some good prep work, (HD APE stuff).

Thanks 

Edited by BanditPervert

I've got a VF20 from a Subaru Legacy (primairy turbo), it's a small one on 1245cc, mine is only running 7psi at the moment, and for that this turbo is alright, I don't know yet what it does when I raise the boost, still waiting for my boost controller.

I had a TD5 16 G (EVO III) this turbo started to get boost at about 4500rpm, it had full boost at 5500rpm.

The VF20 hit's 7psi in the blink of an eye when it hits 4000rpm

I have no idea how the VF20 relates to TD numbers

Edited by Reinhoud
40 minutes ago, clivegto said:

No, l have a high-bread one vf22 hot side vf23 cold side. Turbo reconditioning man says it will spin up fast & make more top end power while retaining middle power as well. 

I’ve looked at the IHI’s And read the Spondon article online and saw he used the vf23, none around at the moment though.

clive, was it a 16t you had before, I’ve seen a 19t but I’m not sure if would physically be to large.

Cheers 

29 minutes ago, BanditPervert said:

I’ve looked at the IHI’s And read the Spondon article online and saw he used the vf23, none around at the moment though.

clive, was it a 16t you had before, I’ve seen a 19t but I’m not sure if would physically be to large.

Cheers 

No idea. 

IMG_20200601_164342.jpg

8 hours ago, clivegto said:

No, l have a high-bread one vf22 hot side vf23 cold side. Turbo reconditioning man says it will spin up fast & make more top end power while retaining middle power as well. 

Your is an odd combination of 24 with 23 hot side isnt it?

22 and 23 are exactly the same hot side.

7 hours ago, BanditPervert said:

Cheers 

Thats my old bike. I may have a spare 23 kicking round come to think of it

15 hours ago, clivegto said:

Ah thanks.

I did read that the 22 is an upgrade from the 23, that's why I asked,  not familiar with the numbers, I have the impression that a higher number not necessarirly means it's a bigger turbo...

4 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Ah thanks.

I did read that the 22 is an upgrade from the 23, that's why I asked,  not familiar with the numbers, I have the impression that a higher number not necessarirly means it's a bigger turbo...

22 is the biggest, spools bit slower but best for power, 400bhp on car, (350 on bike)

23 has same turbine but smaller compressor. Spools faster but less power 350bhp on car (280-300 on bike)

24 has 23 compressor and a smaller turbine 275bhp on car (maybe 250 on bike)

Cant really hybrid them apart from a 24 small turbine with a 22 big compressor but that would be a bit crap, would spool slower because of the big compressor and make less outright boost because of the small turbine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MeanBean49 said:

22 is the biggest, spools bit slower but best for power, 400bhp on car, (350 on bike)

23 has same turbine but smaller compressor. Spools faster but less power 350bhp on car (280-300 on bike)

24 has 23 compressor and a smaller turbine 275bhp on car (maybe 250 on bike)

Cant really hybrid them apart from a 24 small turbine with a 22 big compressor but that would be a bit crap, would spool slower because of the big compressor and make less outright boost because of the small turbine.

Thanks.

There's a chart on the net for the VF turbo's, but for some it doesn't hold information, like the one I have..

50 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

Thanks.

There's a chart on the net for the VF turbo's, but for some it doesn't hold information, like the one I have..

If you google IHI vf turbo specs one of the first results has a list of them all and a description of the whole range, handy quick guide, just worth remembering the power figures relate to a car engine that makes more power N/A than bandit/gsxr low comp motors. Equates to 50bhp ish less on bike in my experience.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:34 PM, MeanBean49 said:

If you google IHI vf turbo specs one of the first results has a list of them all and a description of the whole range, handy quick guide, just worth remembering the power figures relate to a car engine that makes more power N/A than bandit/gsxr low comp motors. Equates to 50bhp ish less on bike in my experience.

That's the chart I meant.

12 hours ago, BanditPervert said:

Wasn’t sure weather to start a new thread or not, but with regards to the fueling, do I need to remove the vacuum from the fuel tap?

I have an Osias high pressure fuel pump with a fpr and in line filter, will the vaccuum from the carbs still be ok to use?

thanks 

Yes sir

Edited by Reinhoud
13 hours ago, BanditPervert said:

Wasn’t sure weather to start a new thread or not, but with regards to the fueling, do I need to remove the vacuum from the fuel tap?

I have an Osias high pressure fuel pump with a fpr and in line filter, will the vaccuum from the carbs still be ok to use?

thanks 

Vacuum from carbs for what? Boosted applications offer low vacuum signal when 'off' boost - the system reverting to pressurised when 'on' boost. Your FPR (hopefully a boost referenced one) will definitely use that connection. Most people take boost reference signal from plenum or pitot tube to simplify the plumbing!

36 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Vacuum from carbs for what? Boosted applications offer low vacuum signal when 'off' boost - the system reverting to pressurised when 'on' boost. Your FPR (hopefully a boost referenced one) will definitely use that connection. Most people take boost reference signal from plenum or pitot tube to simplify the plumbing!

To operate his fuel tap.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:45 PM, BanditPervert said:

thanks 

In answer to your question, you can still use the standard tap, but only on prime, and without the vac line. 

You dont have a vaccume anymore to suck the tap open, you get the opposite of it being blown shut.

Worth remembering though you have no reserve function on prime, and you run out of fuel pretty quick with a turbo. I may have fallen foul of that a couple of times myself :D

Edited by MeanBean49