Bandit 1200 no spark

Tombola

Hi guys,

I have a Mk1 1200 Bandit, it turns over but no spark, or sometimes it will spark once then stop! I’m double checking wiring connections to the cdi and need help with the wiring diagram.

coils are fine and have voltage

sensor for the trig is fine I’m getting over 1v

I have 12v at the cdi unit on the O/R Wire

I have continuity to gnd on the B/W wire 

On the 8 wire plug 

I have From the cdi R/B and GR/BL going to the neutral Switch. What Should be on these?

O/R goes From the cdi to the ignition switch to be joined to a B/W wire that goes ground and to a plug? At the cdi end I have 41ohms to earth 

are there any other wires I should be checking? 

Edited by Tombola

11.2v across the terminals while cranking.  

Do you mean do I have a spare switch? Or is it a standard bandit item? It’s the switch that came with the bike.

i have just tested over the 12v and ground at the cdi, drops to 10.3v while cranking! That would be an issue I feel!

neutral switch i feel is also an issue, If I put in gear turn the bike over I get spark, neutral light on maybe will spark once or no spark All together. 

Edited by Tombola

Bike ran for its mot a Month ago, and I’ve bought it as a non runner, I thought it was a fuel issue and indeed there was a problem with the carbs the small white flying saucer washer that puts spring pressure on the needle was missing on cylinder 4 xD

But while waiting for parts I checked for spark and it has none either!

I’ve put the cdi on a separate 12v bench top psu and it still has no spark..

not saying battery isn’t an issue, but that neutral switch if run the bike in gear ill get a spark

1 hour ago, Tombola said:

Really? I’ll strip it down tonight and have a look, if the contacts bad In there would explain the volt drop

Yeh they get overlooked regularly, There should be be a resistor between the orange/white and the black/white wire, if that resistance is not there or missing the CDI wont fire the coils.

sorted! Would you believe 2 batteries both fucked! Put them together you get a spark. Still find it strange it will turn over like a goodun but not enough voltage while cranking to power the cdi.

Brand new battery and she’s away (y)

thanks for all you help guys!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tombola said:

sorted! Would you believe 2 batteries both fucked! Put them together you get a spark. Still find it strange it will turn over like a goodun but not enough voltage while cranking to power the cdi.

Brand new battery and she’s away (y)

thanks for all you help guys!

Yup I would believe it, 90% of leccy problems I've had with the bandits over the years have been battery related:tu

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Have been trying for months to get a spark from my 2003 B12. I'm at the point of just parting the pos out. I've changed the whole loom, the coils, the CDI, the rotor, the trigger. The starter runs fine, lights, indicators, clutch switch, side stand switch, neutral light is fine, I just cannot get the **** to spark. Nothing at the coils. It's got LED indicators and LED relay. I'm honestly fucked. I was going out one day on it, let the clutch out and it stalled that was fucking it, hasn't gone since. Everything works on it, except the spark. Can anyone see something i may have missed? Fuck this electronic CDI bs, why don't they just FIRE :) I'd go back to points if i could 

If it's like the earlier Blandits and has a resistor in the ignition switch as a rudimentary security device, if this is loose/faulty/disconnected then the bike won't fire. A mate had the same problem with a 750W and it was a dodgy resistor in the ignition switch.