Gs and a Katana frames

Pauly

Was told back in the day someone from a main Suzuki dealership the 1100's had thicker wall tubing than the 750's, once you've chopped a few about you realise its not the case. Just extra bracing on the bigger stuff .  Definitely put GS tanks on 750/1100 EX/ET  frames and EX tanks on ESD frames just by switching brackets.

10 hours ago, Pauly said:

Hi, is there much difference between a gs750 frame and a Kat frame? Thanks 

I’m assuming the real question is “can I build a cheap Kat using a gsSeven’fiddy frame?”

Short answer is yes(but “cheap” is a relative term. )Try and find a “cheap” Kat tank .

Edited by R1guy
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, R1guy said:

I’m assuming the real question is “can I build a cheap Kat using a gsSeven’fiddy frame?”

Short answer is yes(but “cheap” is a relative term. )Try and find a “cheap” Kat tank .

chuck in clocks, seat, tailpiece and you might as well have bought a kat!

10 minutes ago, johnr said:

chuck in clocks, seat, tailpiece and you might as well have bought a kat!

But this is OSS- surely we’re not expecting a standard Kat?

The only Kat bits on this are fuel tank and  windscreen brackets. Everything else is from some other bike or reproduction .

2512FE0B-911D-421F-89CD-4E3B9FA08B10.jpeg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, R1guy said:

I already have a 750 Kat, that I was going to put a B12 motor in. I was toying with the idea of buying another frame ( there’s aGS one advertised near me, hence the question), and building that into a pretend Kat, whilst keeping the real Kat as is/restoring when I can. The tank, is the biggest/expensive part (as mentioned), but most of the other parts are fairly easily available ( as copies), but that doesn’t bother me (too much). 

It is more expense, work and hassle, but I’m just trying to gauge the problems, before I jump in and commit.

Appreciate the comments, thanks

• Like 2

My next project on is turning a gs750 frame into a katana (with an air cooled motor), got the frame and there is a lot differences, headstock takes different bearings in my frame 48mm od top and bottom versus 47mm top and 55mm bottom, but this can be sorted buy different bearings. The lock stop is different (offset tab versus plates on the frame). Lower engine mounts tab and plate, loads of brackets and reinforcements missing, side stand brackets different, some kinks in tubes by the side stand and on the opposite frame rail. Swing arm pivot looks smaller diameter. Not got to this project yet so could be loads more, if I had to get a frame now, I think I would hold out for a gsx frame because this is going to be a lot of work.

11 hours ago, R1guy said:

But this is OSS- surely we’re not expecting a standard Kat?

The only Kat bits on this are fuel tank and  windscreen brackets. Everything else is from some other bike or reproduction .

2512FE0B-911D-421F-89CD-4E3B9FA08B10.jpeg

So what actually defines a 'Kat'? As long as it's got the right looking bodywork? We all know what isn't a Kat but what IS a Kat?O.o

1 hour ago, jameskat said:

My next project on is turning a gs750 frame into a katana (with an air cooled motor), got the frame and there is a lot differences, headstock takes different bearings in my frame 48mm od top and bottom versus 47mm top and 55mm bottom, but this can be sorted buy different bearings. The lock stop is different (offset tab versus plates on the frame). Lower engine mounts tab and plate, loads of brackets and reinforcements missing, side stand brackets different, some kinks in tubes by the side stand and on the opposite frame rail. Swing arm pivot looks smaller diameter. Not got to this project yet so could be loads more, if I had to get a frame now, I think I would hold out for a gsx frame because this is going to be a lot of work.

This is what I was wondering.......might look for a gsx frame too! Thanks

11 minutes ago, R1guy said:

Silhouette 

Silhouette 

Thats prob what I should of said in the beginning, a Kat silhouette...

• 3 weeks later...