GSX400E INFO REQUEST

Hi Folks,  I have just taken on a restoration project and I am after a little info if possible.  She is a 1983 GSX400E (Z I think) and the Haynes manual is coming up short.  The main issue is leaky carbs for which I have ordered gaskets for the float bowl and the electrics which look a mess.  The dealer that sold it to me though did get her running from an auxiliary battery as she didn't have one.  I now have a battery but I want to make sure it goes in the right way (yes I am panicking that much!)  Can anyone provide a picture showing the correct orientation please? There is also a black/white wire nearby that is not connected to anything.  I am kinda assuming it must be an earth lead that just needs connecting to the frame so a picture of the general area would also be useful.  

Any other advise at this moment gratefully received.

Michael

Black with a white tracer is indeed earth on Suzukis. You can see if your stray wire is still connected by connecting one lead of a meter to the wire and the other to the frame. You should then get continiuity (zero ohms resistance):) Same goes for any other earth wire unless the one that's flapping about is the main earth connection. If so, then this needs to be connected to the frame or none of your electrics will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the response.  The gasket was a guess as everything else seemed to be working normally.  Turned out to be a lucky guess at that!  She is now at least running if not very well, early days.  I made myself a coffee and sat down to trace all the wiring and I think I have it all identified.  Someone told me not to judge 1980's wiring logic by 2020's standards which seems to hold true. Everything seems to be working but for the indicators so we seem to be stumbling in the right direction.  Mainly just cleaning up the rust and oxidization now.