what to do...?

dirky

..with all these bits i,ve brought.

hi guys     ..just done a cheap blind buy on a bitsa. bandit frame with what i was told was a slabby or slingshot 750 motor.

53 and still riding round on a 1989 fj1200 so the plan was use the bits and build something light.

turns out it,s a gsx750f motor with oversize carbs and 2 dual pods. runs well..bandit frame tank. old steel swingarm. forks are slabby with the antidive  but top yoke has risers.

wheel are gsxr straight 3 spoke.

what would be the best/lightest frame to use. slabside or slingshot. am i right to think slabby shock has no linkage/dogbones ?   do the front and back end mod easily.

just trying to get a good place to start from.    cheers for any feedback

The gsx750f had 36mm carbs as standard. Can't tell by pic what carbs you have on maybe b12? 

The front end you have looks like gsxr slabside forks brakes in b6 yokes looking at the top yoke (b6) so you'd have to change the bottom yoke stem, I'd look out for a set of slabside yokes.

Front wheel is the curved spoke wheel, what size is stamped on the wheel?  

You may find you have a b6 with 750 motor fitted and slabside forks, as you say steel swing arm b6 had them the b12 had Alli.

cheers for the feedback

engine prefix is  R 7 3 6    i cannot find a cc stamp anywhere. just a patent stamp under carb inlet. 

got the carbs off .mikuni but no model number.

i know nothing about these modern engines but learning fast as the 1980s are getting a bit heavy now.

is the width the same on b6 and slabby forks so i just need to buy a new lower yoke. too old to deal with clippons.  is slingshot different.

whats with these frame prices on pirate site. seem all over the place. whats the going rate.  why are some solid frames and some have bolt on subframes. might have to go slingshot route as slabby  seem much harder to pickup....

are there any frames or years i should avoid ?

015.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

Edited by dirky
extra bits
1 hour ago, CockneyRick said:

Slab 750 was solid frame, 1100 had a removable frame rail for the bigger engine removal ;) 

Seeing as an 1100/1200 engine will squeeze into a 750 slabby frame, my guess is the removable rail of the 1100 slabside frame is there to aid engine fitting on the production line. Is a slabby 750 engine taller than a slabby 1100 engine though? As far as I am aware the engine dimensions are the same apart from the different cam covers, although I stand to be corrected by someone who knows more on this:)

Slabside and b6 forks are 41mm the slingshot b12 are 43mm so you can't use slingshot with the forks you have. You can also use RF600 bottom yoke a bit easyer to find but you will need to sort out lock stop probably.

Don't know if there is a width difference between the b6 and the slabside yokes someone else will have to answer that one, but the RF6 yokes are the same width as the b6. So if, which it looks like he has used the b6 yokes with slabside forks and the slabside yokes are different you can use rf6.

Just fitted rf6 forks and bottom yoke with b6 top yoke on my gs1000 so I know that combo works.

Edited by wraith
Add bit
15 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Seeing as an 1100/1200 engine will squeeze into a 750 slabby frame, my guess is the removable rail of the 1100 slabside frame is there to aid engine fitting on the production line. Is a slabby 750 engine taller than a slabby 1100 engine though? As far as I am aware the engine dimensions are the same apart from the different cam covers, although I stand to be corrected by someone who knows more on this:)

1052,1127 and blandit have ‘taller’ barrels than the 600 and 750.....so a slabby 11 is taller than a slabby 750

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, clivegto said:

10mm I belive. 

This would explain why those downpipes of mine don't fit my bike, if they were made to fit with minimal clearance to a 750 slabby. Anyway, I will STFU about this here now as I am hijacking someone else's thread.

14 minutes ago, dirky said:

turns out r736 is inazuma motor. early ones were black.   any good? 

got a lead on a frame but it,s a wp model.   will my bits fit. 

thanks for all the input. flying blind here.

Yes, but a lot of pissing about & not weorth the trouble. Stick with Slabby/Slingy 85-92 frames ;) 

The WP has a nice looking frame, imho! I like that 'chamfer along the top rail! As to your bits fitting, I assume the motor will go in OK, I know it's a PIA going the other way (watercooled to oil-boiler! WP tank is different too. Take Ricks advice!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1

yeah. Might wait to get my post count up while I rebuild the motor then see what I can pick up here.

still trying to figure out what swingarm to go with.  Does not having a dog bone setup on the early frames limit the arms you can use.  Don’t want to buy standard to find out later there’s a mod everyone does for less flex.. ect

the amount of people who have chimed in is great..