1981 GSX750 Teardown

So the GSX750 was bought as a non-runner. The engine in the bike has a snapped timing chain, it came with a ‘spare’ engine that apparently burns oil like petrol. So I’ve decided to see if the snapped chain engine can be repaired - it’ll need to come out either way. Removed the rocker cover; yep, no chain. Took the head off; and there’s been contact. Also, make sure you check your locknuts after adjusting valve clearances guys, I found one that escaped. It was still in the head, so I don’t know if it contributed to the chain snappage.

I’ve filled the ports with fuel, the inlet valves are still sealing. Then removed the valves and as far as I can see, they haven’t bent so I’ll lap them and I think the head is serviceable.

I removed the barrels and the top ring of each piston has snapped, but no scoring of the bores. The bores may require a very light hone or at least a glaze bust. Any recommendations on where to get the rings? CMS?

The crankcase is still in the frame, I don’t have anything to lift it out or support it as I do so. I was looking to split it in the frame, but he frame gets in the way of a couple of the journal/case bolts underneath.

Any suggestions on either getting the crankcase out or splitting it? I can see the chain all mangled up in there and hoping it hasn’t taken any teeth from the crank sprocket.

C4255F17-6084-403D-B04D-3D309006C66B.jpeg

09870FBE-D335-4D9F-ABE2-5E8D1995AB09.jpeg

08665EB3-16ED-4D1A-A4EA-F5DDD7CE18E3.jpeg