816 ET Charging Problem

Hi guys the voltage across my  (new) ET battery is only 12.5V @4000-5000 rpm. @Rene EFEis helping me out and felt this was not correct - especially since it does struggle to turn the high compression motor over. 

Planning to ride the thing to Croatia in a few weeks so any input on the best course of action would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

PS. Heres a cool bike of my bike that somehow made it into a US mag in the 90s....more on that later. 

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 21.35.27.png

• Like 1
On 6/1/2020 at 1:50 PM, Blubber said:

That photo location looks very local to me:

The small leasure harbour of my home town: Ijmuiden. Curious about the article and where the bike comes from.

I picked it up in 2015 in IJmuiden from a guy who had it for 20 years... And sold it last month on to @Cunnerz77As he will ride it more than I will. 

The article might come from a BSH issue around '95-'97

I might have a spare reg/rec for a GSX engine, not sure if its ok, will have a look today. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses gents and unfortunately my embarrassing mechanical skills make communication about the problem difficult as well. Hopefully I can make up for it later by giving the thing a proper vacation blog. For now I'm trying a new generator from Eblag and really really hoping that sorts it - if not I'll have to get help. Just took the casing off and the windings and hole pitches are the same as the Eblag one ive bought, only my original has clean red resin covering the windings with a thick layer...the Eblag one looks like a crappy resin, also has no markings.

Regarding the mag - the gentleman in the US had cut out that page some years ago as he was looking for the bigger tank, and was also following some Dutch turbo bike builders. He told me he'd been booed away from OSS because he had a Busa engine in his Kat haha! He did know ity was 816cc and had V&H headers...

Slabby wheels should be here tomorrow and will see if Wal (best brake disc salesman ever) at PFM has anything suitable. I also need to lure in Rene and Jelle with fried snacks and eurofizz so they can help me measure up some bits for my awesome machinist buddies in China. Need to get the Slingshot Nissins on my original GSX forks.

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 22.44.54.png

Edited by Cunnerz77
On 6/3/2020 at 9:36 AM, jensvonbustenskjold said:

Maybe I've missed something, but can you run is through your setup; generator, rectifier, size of battery (Ah)?

Thanks mate, yeh trying to learn as I go but yes you're absolutely right I need to be able to go through it systematically. Just this bike isnt that sort of tinkering and learning project for me.... Gotta have the ET ready in 3 weeks ish...or the Gurls blouse gets the holiday instead. Desperate to get away.

Good work so far. An ET is definitely in my future.

I wonder if you can help me. Do you know what jets are in your carburettor? I am building an 816 (katana) with pod filters too, and want to have some sort of starting point.

thanks in advance