GS1000 frame mods

Love the jig. I might build one myself!! Are you changing the steering head angle? The rear geometry change is a good one. I guess you copied Pop's dimensions from the period? I did the same on my race bike and it works well. You have to move the lower shock position as well, but it works. I reckon you went over the top on bracing. In my experience  it's just not required and simply adds weight. When I get my bike back together, that's what I will concentrate on; weight reduction. Nice work though mate. I look forward to  seeing progress!

Photo 19 Rolling chassis.jpg

Smithy T11.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks,

yes I will move back and steeper the steering tube.The shocks are YSS rg362 and the bottom mounts will be moved too.I plan on using a Katana 1100 swingarm for a period look.I' m waiting AP calipers from Harris.

For the front end, i plan to use sv650 lower with cbr600 upper in ,  in old style adjustable yokes(if I can find a set).With adjustable yokes I will be able to switch back and forth between 17'' and 18''.

The frame was done mostly looking at old pictures and website like here.Its a mix of gusset plate, 16g, and tubes, again 16g.Top shocks mount are 14G.I probably removed more weight on the stock frame.I should have weighted it before I started to modify it...  

I made aluminum new engine mounting plates, rearset are in the making.

Like a fool I sold all my GS1000 go fast parts years ago.Right now the engine is a GS1000 bottom end with a gs1100GK top end.I still have a ported head with oversize valves.I will sort out the frame and after that the engine.

CIMG5802.JPG

CIMG5593.JPG

CIMG5592.JPG

CIMG5793.JPG

I like the weight saving on the mounts. I might have to take that route as well...  I agree on the Katana swingarm. Easily strong enough, and you can always brace it a bit.

Something I would also like to do is make a fibreglass mould of the seat and tail fin and make a one piece fibreglass seat along the lines of the Katana versions on offer. That and either an alloy or fibreglass tank.

I want to keep the bike looking like a GS thou though, not a bitsa. The current engine managed 150 rear wheel hp which is enough for me. If you want any engine photos, let me know, as I went through quite a few versions before I got it right! Twin plugs makes a much nicer engine, cooler as well. Easy mod. Hardest work were the cam chain mods, same as Yosh did in the period.

Anyway, I watch what you are doing with interest! Very nice job!

Thanks,

17 hours ago, smithy09 said:

I like the weight saving on the mounts. I might have to take that route as well...  I agree on the Katana swingarm. Easily strong enough, and you can always brace it a bit.

Something I would also like to do is make a fibreglass mould of the seat and tail fin and make a one piece fibreglass seat along the lines of the Katana versions on offer. That and either an alloy or fibreglass tank.

I want to keep the bike looking like a GS thou though, not a bitsa. The current engine managed 150 rear wheel hp which is enough for me. If you want any engine photos, let me know, as I went through quite a few versions before I got it right! Twin plugs makes a much nicer engine, cooler as well. Easy mod. Hardest work were the cam chain mods, same as Yosh did in the period.

Anyway, I watch what you are doing with interest! Very nice job!

Thanks,

Yes, I will really appreciate it.If my memory is good, I remember your build on the old forum.My last gs1000 engine had CR, under buckt, wiseco 1100 pistons, cam motion cams with titanium hardware, 40mm and 33mm valves.Sold it for peanuts.

I will start from zero with another engine.I'm not sure if I will use a GK D port heat or a small port head.When the rolling chassis is sorted it will be engine time.

I think there is a version that use the breather cover for the cam chain mod.

The fiberglass seat is a good idea.Over here 40year agoo,you had to use the stock seat pan on a superbike.

Here are the pistons I used. They were custom made by Wiseco to fit the Combustion chamber and valves I was using (Can't remember exact sizes of valves). I had to re-sleeve the block and bore the cases slightly. My head was sourced from the states and was a small port but well ported by Buzz from Dynoman. I fitted the Yoshi style cam tensioner system to control cam chain issues. Seemed to work OK.

I hear you on selling parts for peanuts! You kick yourself right? That sounds like it was a good engine. I'm so glad I didn't sell my race bike when I stopped racing in 2009, and I'm looking forward to rebuilding it! I wish I could find a decent crank for it. Mine is welded with Carrillo rods, but not balanced or polished..

Anyway, some details of my old set up are attached. I hope this helps. Damn. Found I can't attach PDFs or drawings. If you PM me your email address I'll send all the info I have. The Wiseco Pistons no is BTO-1923M07800. These will fit a small port combustion chamber. You should be able to order off that number if you wanted to. 78mm and 1220cc roughly. I have a heap more detail that I did for Yoshi Johnny when he was building his bike. Just let me know if there is any detail you want and I will do my best to help.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I am really keen to see your bike progress and what you do, especially the steering head mods!

Components-1.JPG

Cover-2.JPG

Cover-4.JPG

Kwak roller in head.JPG

Piston Animation cross sect.JPG

Piston cross section.JPG

Piston cross section-2.JPG

Spark eroded slot-2.JPG

Spark-eroded slot-1.JPG

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...