Bandit/1127 sump issue?

Put a Bandit side well sump on a GSX1100F lump with a new gasket. No sealant, just straight on & bolted up diagonally not following the bolts round.

The bike has run twice for about 5 mins each time but never moved, & there's oil all around the whole circumference of the sump join.

At first i thought it could be the cooler pipes at front, but the fact the oil is pretty much everywhere i'm just wondering?

Anybody had one that warped before?

Edited by CockneyRick

I know on my gsx1100f motor the sump has been leaking each time I stopped the bike or even when it's just been stud in the garage over the winter there been a small amount of oil under the rear l/h side. I've put a new gasket on it but with no change, so I've now got another sump and I'm going to put that on to see if it helps.

So, no your not the only one.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Put a Bandit side well sump on a GSX1100F lump with a new gasket. No sealant, just straight on & bolted up diagonally not following the bolts round.

The bike has run twice for about 5 mins each time but never moved, & there's oil all around the whole circumference of the sump join.

At first i thought it could be the cooler pipes at front, but the fact the oil is pretty much everywhere i'm just wondering?

Anybody had one that warped before?

i assume you used the blandit pick up as well ? 

Maybe check the obvious first: what about the central M6 screw in the sump that has its own sealing washer? If this is leaking, oil will go all over the shop. Also, are all the set screws the correct length? If any are bottoming then the sump may not be tightening correctly on the bottom case:) I know this is basic stuff but often we all get sidetracked away and things are hiding in plain view.

4 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Maybe check the obvious first: what about the central M6 screw in the sump that has its own sealing washer? If this is leaking, oil will go all over the shop. Also, are all the set screws the correct length? If any are bottoming then the sump may not be tightening correctly on the bottom case:) I know this is basic stuff but often we all get sidetracked away and things are hiding in plain view.

All the bolts are correct length. Only 1 bolt has the dowty washer on & that goes to the RH rear hole which i have checked. The central bolt does not have one, but i have decided to put copper washers on every one of the bolts. I also renewed to AN outlet Dowtys at the front too, &  i  annealed the sump washer before reusing it.

I also checked the sump on glass & it does have a very tiny warp on. I'm hoping the cleaned surfaces, gasket & red Hylomar with a solid tightening sequence will cure it. If not, i'll be looking for another one.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 5/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, CockneyRick said:

All the bolts are correct length. Only 1 bolt has the dowty washer on & that goes to the RH rear hole which i have checked. The central bolt does not have one, but i have decided to put copper washers on every one of the bolts. I also renewed to AN outlet Dowtys at the front too, &  i  annealed the sump washer before reusing it.

I also checked the sump on glass & it does have a very tiny warp on. I'm hoping the cleaned surfaces, gasket & red Hylomar with a solid tightening sequence will cure it. If not, i'll be looking for another one.

It was warped & soon as i replaced it, the leaks stopped.

• Like 1