Slabby rear light on an aftermarket seat unit

Dezza

I want a slabby rear light on my current project bike as they are so instantly recognisable. Has anyone here used one in conjunction with an aftermarket fibre-glass seat unit? How was it fitted? To the seat unit itself by glassing-in some re-inforcement and captive nuts or by mounting it on some subframe brackets so the light remains on the bike when the seat is removed? Suggestions and especially pics appreciated:)

Edited by Dezza
21 minutes ago, carlinmidarlin said:

This is mine in a fibre man seat unit, the light is sika flexed is so it come out with the seat unit as 1

Any pics showing how the light is fixed to the seat unit? I know this can only really be done with the seat off of the bike so no probs if you can't do this:)

I would suggest that mounting the light directly to the seat unit is the way to go. Fibreglass seats tend have a degree of flex and movement in use so any aperture for a frame mounted light would need to allow for this and probably end up looking overlarge and shite. What did Mr Burns use ? I seem to remember it was off a YZF750.

Edited by bluedog59
Added the bit about Mr Burns.
3 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

I would suggest that mounting the light directly to the seat unit is the way to go. Fibreglass seats tend have a degree of flex and movement in use so any aperture for a frame mounted light would need to allow for this and probably end up looking overlarge and shite. What did Mr Burns use ? I seem to remember it was off a YZF750.

Yep, I think this is the way to go too. The slabby light is also really lightweight, which makes things easier.

Dunno about the light Burns used. He built his in 1988 so it couldn't have been from a YZF 750. The one in the pic isn't a slabby light though. I want a slabby light as the shape is perfect for an F1-type seat unit  and the frame was built for when the only GSXR or oilcooled Suzuki even was a slabby - I want some sort of external emblem that shouts 'slabby' and the rear light is perfect for this because as far as I know only 750/1100 slabbies had these lights :)

burns bike.JPG

• Like 1