Alternative fuel tank for GS1000E

I expect this has been asked a million times, but don't shoot me down!

I am on the hunt for a set of bodywork for my GS1000E. I have just managed to buy the sidepanels and tailpiece, so now just need the tank (and maybe the seat trim if I can find one). Seems tanks are hard to find so maybe looking at a GSX1100ET tank as I quite like the look of them, but turns out they are hard to find too! It seems easier to find a good GS(X)1100E tank, the US version of the GSX1100ET tank. Do these fit straight on the GS1000 frame? I see the fuel tap is further forward, but I assume this will still work?  I assume it has 44mm tap threads so my 50mm tap won't fit.Any other clearance issues?

Has anyone got pictures of the US GS1100 tank on a GS1000?

40 minutes ago, simesman said:

Would love that aluminium race tank on Eblag, already painted blue/white Cooley scheme, but over a grand!!! And you have to move the coils too.

There’s got to be a market for Ali gs1000 tanks.

I expect a batch of 10 would sell for a half sensible price if someone were to be willing to make them 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, R1guy said:

There’s got to be a market for Ali gs1000 tanks.

I expect a batch of 10 would sell for a half sensible price if someone were to be willing to make them 

A bloke at Newark autojumble did just that a few years back: he was flogging some really nice GS ally tanks for 500 each, and they were brill. 700 for one painted in S colours to a very high standard.

32 minutes ago, R1guy said:

Possibly where the blue/white one on the ‘Bay came from. Slap a shiney paint job on it and ask for £1kO.o

By the look of it, the tank is the same as the ones being sold at Newark. The seller then told me he had a batch made to get 2 for his bikes and just wanted to get his money back with them. I saw one bare and the other was painted the same as the one on Eblag at the moment only it was red not blue and did not have a Yoshi sticker. If I was building a GS I would definitely have taken his number. (I am not a bike dealer or in the building trade so don't walk about with 500 folding in my pocket.....):)

Hmmmm, £800. Still seems quite steep.

What about a decent paintjob? That would place it more expensive that the bay one. Who are the people for decent paintjobs nowadays? I am way out of touch. Used to be DreamMachine but are they still good? Any ballpark figures for a Cooley job on tank and tailpiece?

No idea on paint prices etc, but if I could of afforded it I would of bought one of the 2 ali tanks for sale, depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike, steel tanks are very hard to come by and only going to rot more over the years

25 minutes ago, simesman said:

Hmmmm, £800. Still seems quite steep.

What about a decent paintjob? That would place it more expensive that the bay one. Who are the people for decent paintjobs nowadays? I am way out of touch. Used to be DreamMachine but are they still good? Any ballpark figures for a Cooley job on tank and tailpiece?

When all the work and time involved in making a bespoke ally tank is accounted for, 800 is pretty good value, especially when the quality is high. There's a GSXR ally tank on eb@y at the moment for 1800 quid that looks like it was welded by Ray Charles when he did a night school course practical, probably:)

• Like 1

Yep, not bothered about early fluted types.

Quite liking the idea of an GSX1100ET tank now. They look like they go straight on and the tap looks to be in the right position. Anyone know for sure if it just drops onto the GS1000E frame? I know they are rare but there are a couple on Eblag right now that look good.

• 4 weeks later...