Turbo engine prep

Hi all

I have the rolling chassis built and am now starting to put the motor back together, ( a lot more expensive than I first realised just to get to this point) I’m now peeping the bottom end, I’ve got busa pistons and GSXR1100 cams for the top, has anyone changed the bottom end at all?

I am looking to get the APE studs and cam chain, and replace the gear train bearings, just wondering if there’s anything else I should be doing while down there?

cheers 

Just now, BanditPervert said:

Am hoping for north of 250, APE rods? I haven’t seen those available.

You won't - Carrillo or Falicon are the rods of choice - if if budget is a strong motivation the Chinese Maxspeeding Rods are maybe an option! Although 250hp should be ok with stock rods

On 5/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, Gixer1460 said:

You won't - Carrillo or Falicon are the rods of choice - if if budget is a strong motivation the Chinese Maxspeeding Rods are maybe an option! Although 250hp should be ok with stock rods

£217 delivered. How you ask? I really haven’t a clue!! It’s ludicrous, little and big end have been honed, They feel very much quality, although I’ve never heard a carrillo rod to compare. 

EDIT I’ve gone for these rods because i can’t afford Carrillo, I’m in NO way saying these are as good!

(although with doing the appropriate tests may well be :ph34r:)

1B2A8DEF-2161-4E10-B604-6BD0F8FA1E9F.jpeg

Edited by Tombola
  • Like 1

Think I may stick with the stock rods and big end bearings, there were only 20,000 miles on them.

I’ve got the new mains and thrust washers, Is the lock up clutch a soul outlet necessary or is there a way to beef up the standard one.

thought about trying to turn down the springs and use a nut and bolt arrangement through the retainer plate.

You can add super heavy springs and end up with a really heavy clutch that still slips or use something that works - the lock-up. Turbo's make a lot of torque low down and just springs don't cut it! By tour name I assume the base is a Bandit 1200? The clutch on them isn't the best - certainly the lego basket, a swap to a GSXR all steel one maybe a good upgrade.

Haha yes 

I’ve been N/A tuning them for years/ big bores, cams etc

thought id finally give one a blow job.

ive seen a few people swap to a GSXR before the lock up, I don’t see the point in that if your going lock up anyway. 

I do have access to a CNC workshop, so I may try to draw one up and have that made although I’m not sure  I’d do the real ones justice.

11 hours ago, BanditPervert said:

ive seen a few people swap to a GSXR before the lock up, I don’t see the point in that if your going lock up anyway. 
I do have access to a CNC workshop, so I may try to draw one up and have that made although I’m not sure  I’d do the real ones justice.

The GSXR has a better basket - doesn't groove as bad as aluminium!

The lock-up design is piss easy and would be a few minutes (ok about an hour) on a CNC the L shaped arms in steel is the hardest bit!

I’ve seen a few different shaped ones, some look like they have 4 bolt sleeves extruding from the rear of it.

the diaphragm one I gather also needs an adapter that has a thread on it, I can’t see what threads into though. 

im all up for attempting it, mostly due to the £450 for an off the shelf one, that’s pretty much a months funds right there 

13 hours ago, BanditPervert said:

Is that adapter thread for the shaft?

i saw a bandit one on a previous thread and it looked the same.

Yes, the adaptor replaces the two bits that bolt the bandit clutch pack/springs together and the main nut. The lockup then bolts to that adaptor

On 6/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, BanditPervert said:

I’ve seen a few different shaped ones, some look like they have 4 bolt sleeves extruding from the rear of it.

The diaphragm one I gather also needs an adapter that has a thread on it, I can’t see what threads into though. 

im all up for attempting it, mostly due to the £450 for an off the shelf one, that’s pretty much a months funds right there 

I admire your enthusiasm and access to tools to create the stuff we desire but please take a step back and first learn how these assemblies work and go together, because until you know that - £450 will seem cheap in comparison (costed against time and scrapped parts) I built a whole CNC mini mill to create some parts with big ideas of what it could do in the future - so far it's only created 4 pieces, so cost per piece is about £600 whereas a machine shop could have done all 4 for about £150 !

31 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

I admire your enthusiasm and access to tools to create the stuff we desire but please take a step back and first learn how these assemblies work and go together, because until you know that - £450 will seem cheap in comparison (costed against time and scrapped parts) I built a whole CNC mini mill to create some parts with big ideas of what it could do in the future - so far it's only created 4 pieces, so cost per piece is about £600 whereas a machine shop could have done all 4 for about £150 !

But you did them yourself, right(y)

On 6/2/2020 at 10:44 PM, Tombola said:

£217 delivered. How you ask? I really haven’t a clue!! It’s ludicrous, little and big end have been honed, They feel very much quality, although I’ve never heard a carrillo rod to compare. 

EDIT I’ve gone for these rods because i can’t afford Carrillo, I’m in NO way saying these are as good!

(although with doing the appropriate tests may well be :ph34r:)

1B2A8DEF-2161-4E10-B604-6BD0F8FA1E9F.jpeg

I had these,they get great reviews by the car guys.