Snappy sidestands

Right, as some of you might know the old buses have very 'spring happy' sidestands, compared to newer bikes and oilcooled ones. You really have to put your foot down to put it in its place. 

Is there a common mod on these to remove the spring so they will stay up? 

2 hours ago, wraith said:

What bike is this on? 

Never had the problem with any of my GS or gsx bikes.

See 916 Italian think where the side stand flicks up as soon as you take the wait off the stand.

An ET. Going to relocate the spring. 

Try a weaker spring, or slightly longer one.

The side stand on the GS 1000 Wes Cooley tribute was broken. I had a spare stand but the spring hook was slightly different I needed an inch longer spring. I had a brainwave and cut a link from our old dog's chain lead. It was around an inch and worked perfect.

• Like 2

8wOxWoD.jpg

That shows a stand with a tab for the spring.

I remembered lots of bikes use a tab to allow for a shorter spring to be used. I was gonna make one from some 20mm x 3mm stainless when I thought about the chain I used for our Great Dane's lead. He was 12stone and could snap leather leads so I got a metre of galvanised welded chain, 30mm od links, 25mm id. Nice radiused curves that fitted the stand perfect. 

If you heat sprung steel until it’s red hot and let it cool on it’s own (rather than forcing it to cool with water) it’ll lose its “springiness”. Might be worth heating the spring up to different levels and allowing it to cool to see if it has any effect. You can make it “springy” again by heating it until it’s red then quenching it in water.  

On 5/25/2020 at 2:56 PM, Jelly said:

Yes, of course, stay down. Because of the strong spring they snap up immediately when you move a bike around. Man-the-fuck-up is not an answer I'm looking after though. :v

my Kat has the same problem, i have to get off the bike before i can put the stand down, I'm only 5'6 and can't put the stand down when sat on it, unless i get my high heels on,, but they clash with silver :)

just read through the thread, will sort it cheers chaps