GS side panels

On 5/23/2020 at 2:53 AM, Neil-IOM said:

Gs1000 e and s are the same,   Gs1000 G and 850g are the same  and gs1000l are different again 

What is it with the letters in the 1000 model identification? I've heard it has to do with the year of manufacturing, is this right?

If not, do you know what it means?

Of course the G was the shaft model and the L was the custom as to the E and S models I thought the E went from the slide carb wright up to and including the CV carb models ?

And the S was the bigger slide carb model of the E slide carb and the S had the love it or hate it fairing xD

I maybe way out on the E/S models ;)

• Like 2

Some E had same 28mm carbs as the S. Depends on the market. UK bikes had 28mm carbs in 79.

The 2nd letter is the year, so N is 79, T is 80. Prior to 79, the 2nd letter is less used. I think C was 78, and B 77, so you get ECs and HCs. E was an upgrade that usually included alloy wheels and paintwork.

The EN had slides, the ET had CVs, as did the GT. There was no 79 GS1000GN shaft to my knowledge.

The SN is the 79 slide carb bike, mostly identical to the EN. Had the fairing, different clocks, 18" rear wheel (17" in some markets), 28mm carbs whereas some 79 EN bikes had 26mm carbs, depending on market, but otherwise identical.

The ST 1980 was not sold in the UK, but there are 2 versions, the Aussie bike with 30mm slides, hotter cams, ordinary clocks, square indicators, different paintwork etc etc.

The US style ST had the same 34mm CVs as the ET, stepped seat, shorter pipes and rearsets. Otherwise same as 79 SN.

There were slight variations from market to market on all of these, making for lots of internet bickering in future decades! xD

Edited by gs7_11
  • Like 6

Ha, yeah, those losers!

Much rather know that the GS750, GS850 and GS1000G airboxes are all subtly different, despite being stamped with the same number, because the front panel with the holes in is welded on after the main body is stamped.

I mean, think what that does for me with the ladies! ;)

• Like 6