Wont Select Gear.

So, here goes looking for help, please. 

I took off the clutch cover to fit a new gasket , the clutch cable cover was off already, and I decided to put that back on so as to check the clutch movement before fastening it up.

When I put on the gear lever I pushed and the gear selector shaft to far and the selector drum came out of position. 

I popped it back in and now... 

I could only engage 2nd after fiddling I can now get 1st too

I can only get 1st and 2nd and neutral.

It could be my clutch but the cables about fullly adjusted out and no difference.

Did I put the selector back wrong?

What next?

Edited by bob654
addition of imfo

Yes, I saw that and couldnt believe I did the same thing after reading his post. Althought o be fair it didnt say how it happened.

Could I have meshed the teeth in the wrong gaps, like one click out?When I put it back I did it blind. Should I have taken off the clutch and basket. Or is it the clutch cable adjust? Although it feels fine with in the limited use its getting.

Edited by bob654

1495900378_Inked20200505_133006.thumb.jpg.08708a096775b7d110339fc6a10883fc(1)_LI.jpg.ec19fed6beef1b7315b3220d3d731abc.jpg

cant see behind it, and cant manipulate the pawl, to where it was, blind. So I need to remove the clutch basket.

Stopped today to borrow a clutch holding tool.

When I remove the basket, can I then remove the large cogged wheel behind, and are there circlips or fasteners?

Edited by bob654

Good News.

Thanks to GS7_11 For his substantial knowledge, and clutch holding tool.

I got the bike on the road today and out for a 5 mile run for the first time since I bought the bike 3 1/2 years ago.

I am very pleased with the way it ran and still have enough things need doing to keep me busy. It runs, idles, pulls, changes gears well and the other systems are operational too.

As usual thank you for your help.

IMG_20200523_162610924_HDR.thumb.jpg.c7c24ae559f3a4e78ae3dc337dcde240.jpg

Edited by bob654
pic
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...

So, a little update-; I've set the ignition timing, checked the valve shims, tuned the carbs. I was about to set off on a long run 30 miles or so I thought when I noticed my volt metre was reading 15.5 v which I wasn't keen on and have been told that is too high even if the manual says thats fine.

I switched out the regulator and the  rectifier, with Electrex R/R one, and am now sitting on 13.8 volts. I got my earths crossed and tried to mount em in the wrong place, so I need to thank, GS7_11, again for his knowledge and advice.

Im now looking forward to my ride this week. Cheers. 

Edited by bob654
  • Like 4