Like buses you wait ages then 2 turn up at once. My friend that I built the GS550 chop for last year bought me a hardtail frame and I sold him a project GN400 I had in the lock up. I started working on the frame, then he bought a second GN 400 chop and bought that to me, so I am on both at the same time.

36CtHnS.jpg

Blue hardtail frame is the first one. Red and white one was the second.

g4ldrfA.jpg

I made bearing cups to fit the GN forks and yokes into the blue frame.

0JjlFem.jpg

Axle plates were rough and needed sorting out to fit the wheel in. I tried the GN 400 wheel but the hub is huge and the sprocket carrier is offset too far to let me centre the rim. I had a Chinese 125cc bike that was scrap but the wheels are decent. They are the same size rims as the GN but much narrower hubs.

fnr3Mri.jpg

Axle plates modified and tidied up, just need to sort chain adjusters.

O4uqhIQ.jpg

Axle plates were 17mm ish, probably Imperial, not sure what the frame was made for but looks like ride side chain originally. I used the 15mm chinky wheel rear spindle. Axle slots were rough so I opened them up to 21mm, got them even and made top hats to fit the 15mm spindle.

P4PzEUq.jpg

I prefer cast wheels to spoke and think these look good

eKVXDCF.jpg

This is the other one, popped up for sale local too cheap to ignore so my mate snapped it up.

VSg5hLT.jpg

Re made the side stand into a bolt on one. The frame of the red one had been painted but had no stand, seat, or footrest mounts welded on!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Been getting stuck into the red GN frame. They have a short top tube that makes it hard to fit a custom tank because the frame tubes get in the way. I decided the way to go was to cut the cradle tubes out completely and fit a centre post. The top tube had already been extended to fit the hardtail. I have cut all the excess tubes out and the centre stand brackets, plus any other old bracket I wasn't happy with.

x85Rxon.jpg 

Bare frame before cutting

2q7SYEg.jpg

Frame after cutting

a3Rqe17.jpg

Original Sportster tank fits nice now

1vQLtjn.jpg

Alien tank is going to be used though

6JOfZYX.jpg

Going to brace the area where the original frame meets the hardtail and fit the centre post.