V&H pipe on GS1085 ?

Morning all

I'm thinking of buying a new exhaust for my gs1000.  The bike is running Wiesco 1085 and Keihin cr33 carbs, Dyna ignition and coils and is making about 112 hp. 

Exhaust has been modified since the dyno run and the bike has lost the ability to rev. It is great to 6k but then starts to feel strangled and won't rev out.

I am currently re doing the pipe in a bigger bore to chase my lost revs but it has got me thinking about buying a pipe off the shelf.

I notice that I can buy a fairly heavily discounted V&H pipe at the mo so my question is what do people think about the performance of the V&H  ?  Not the drag pipe, the street pipe. 

Hi

My  GSX 1100E  1992,   1074 ccm , new stock pistons , stock ingnition , coils GSX 1100F ,  Yoshi stage 1 cams ,  a bit polished / cleaned intakes ,  36 BSS carb. ( EFE )  stock filter , 120 main jets, needele in middle,  runs a bit fat, is a bit thirsty  :P

I have V&H street ( called in Germany Eagle classic )  with "race baffle "  from V&H . 

1-4 gear until 10.000/min no problem , even want more, without hole  good torque. top speed with steetbar without fairing on speedo from GSXR 750 ( mechanic with 17" wheels ) and Mercedes Speedo as references is 235km/hour + at around 9000/min , even can be a bit more... 

Alterntive I have a  L&W with bigger header  diameters, there is a bit more torque , but the turning willingness  is a bit lower, top speed is a bit lower..

Thats my impression from 40 years biking ,  no dyno tests

see here the bike with V&H

1327312617_GSX11002019.thumb.jpg.c532357c1014cc7bffe0fa37e3f8c2b9.jpg

cheers

Uli

I've always thought they are a good pipe, had one on a gpz1100, never had one on a dyno and compared it to other zorst. Never had the money to keep buying zorst just to see which would give a extra bhp, but by reading the stated bumf there never seen to be more than 2-5 bhp difference at the most. (And that's on bikes with a lot more bhp to start with. ie Black Widow zorst for a standard b12 they state 6 bhp increase with race can and thats a restricted 100 bhp bike)

if you want the bhp make sure you get a race can not a street legal one, quite means restricted VERY basically, 

1 hour ago, Spamwood said:

Morning all

I'm thinking of buying a new exhaust for my gs1000.  The bike is running Wiesco 1085 and Keihin cr33 carbs, Dyna ignition and coils and is making about 112 hp. 

Exhaust has been modified since the dyno run and the bike has lost the ability to rev. It is great to 6k but then starts to feel strangled and won't rev out.

I am currently re doing the pipe in a bigger bore to chase my lost revs but it has got me thinking about buying a pipe off the shelf.

I notice that I can buy a fairly heavily discounted V&H pipe at the mo so my question is what do people think about the performance of the V&H  ?  Not the drag pipe, the street pipe. 

Try bigger main jets, try 10 higher, for example from 120 to 130

Wasn't Grumpys flogging these a while back? Made by someone who seems to know what they are on about.

https://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/GS1000-YOSHIMURA-REPLICA-GS1000S-GS-COOLEY-STREET-RACE-STAINLESS-RACE-AHMRA-gs/124080022574?hash=item1ce3bee42e:g:gWkAAOSwBQ5dflkd

Wraith is right about noise but with a great big air cooled 4, if the carbs are well set up, then it's not a problem as these bikes can be ridden using only very low revs when consideration for others is needed:)

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1

I went from this pipe which was a minimum 2" bore through the baffle tube to a straight pipe that looks like the original Yoshi on the original Cooley bike but the bore was too small. Jetting is spot on for the old bigger bore pipe so I think I just need to go back to a bigger bore like a V&H or a second attempt at copying the Yoshi pipe but a bigger bore.

I had a Harris pipe on my EFE engined bike and it blew the (street) baffles out at a trackday at Oulton Park in 1991. A cut down race baffle with 10mm holes drilled all over the perferated bit and no packing has always worked well, and is what I use in the stainless Harris replica pipe now on the bike.

13 hours ago, keith said:

i had the same with my gs.i went to a hindle pipe.the power went from 110bhp to 122bhp.and fuels perfect now.

Seriously?

That's not bad!!

I had my GS1000 on the dyno, and it cranked out 81hp, this was with only a ported head and a non high performance exhaust...

Then I put a 1085cc Wiseco kit in it with HC pistons and cams with that much lift material from the head needed to be removed to make the cams able to spin, still the crap exhaust, but the bike went really well, the needle of the speedo was way more often at the illegal side of the speedo as before, put her on the dyno.... 86hp...

Put a 1245cc big bore and a turbo on her.... 150 hp...

I must say, Hayabusa's make about 160 hp on that dyno..

My Gs1085c was built by Roger Upperton Stock cam but Dialed in cleaned up Head welded crank set up by Grumpy 1260 on Dyno puts out 90BHP 68 ft lbs ,had a third gear Roll on with guy Gsxr1000 up to about 115 his words what the Fck you done to that grin?..

• Like 1

These are of a GS1000 that I owned in the mid 1980's.  The exhaust was  produced by a company in Cambridge Ontario (Canada) by a guy named Gary Wolf.  All really soft bends and barely a straight section.  He made very nice pipes but hasn't been in business for years.

BRN3C2AF4452C32_002552.thumb.jpg.8be77dc333817dd3361f08b1cedb3d8d.jpgBRN3C2AF4452C32_002551.thumb.jpg.cb395fffe019aeba0ad12da38bd33b65.jpg

• Like 1