17" wheel swap in standard efe forks/swingarm

Hi everyone 

I have searched, and have also gone round in circles, as there doesn't seem to be a definitive way to do what I'm after doing. 

Bought an EFE, standard wheels, standard forks, standard swingarm. 

I want to go 3.5 x 17 front wheel, (keeping speedo drive) and preferably keeping standard forks 

I want to swap the rear wheel to a matching wheel to the front if poss, as I dislike odd wheels. Happy to go 4.5" to run a 160 or 170, 5" to run 170 or 180, or 5.5" to go 180. Prefer to keep standard rear brake caliper and hanger. If I have to change swingarm, I will, but prefer a route with minimal alterations needed. 

So, just a wheel swap if at all possible, with minimum spacer machining etc, rather than a full blown front and rear swap. I'm not after a mega build special bike, just something i can put modern 17 tyres on, to improve the ride and handling. 

If you know what definitely works, and what years and models of wheels to go for, including any other parts needed, like disks, sprocket carrier etc etc, all help would be awesome. 

Thanks again. 

Paul 

20200414_152639.jpg

Hi, welcome to OSS

bandit 12 5.5 straight spoke, will go in the swingarm  with maybe some minor grinding to the inner seams, offset front sprocket, 180 tyre maybe will maybe wont, dependent on the make 170 will go with clearance, i know cos that's whats in mine.

front i am not too sure of, i normally swap out the entire front end for some later suzuki ones which is a piece of piss by the way,  a gsxf front wheel will go into the original forks.

someone will be along who knows

look in the builds section there's plenty in there for you to read.

Bike looks tidy and in one of the best colour combos(y)

start a build thread and post pics, everyone likes pics

RTFR, and never refer to gsxf's as Kat's(y)(y)

35 minutes ago, mark35gun said:

Hi, welcome to OSS

bandit 12 5.5 straight spoke, will go in the swingarm  with maybe some minor grinding to the inner seams, offset front sprocket, 180 tyre maybe will maybe wont, dependent on the make 170 will go with clearance, i know cos that's whats in mine.

front i am not too sure of, i normally swap out the entire front end for some later suzuki ones which is a piece of piss by the way,  a gsxf front wheel will go into the original forks.

someone will be along who knows

look in the builds section there's plenty in there for you to read.

Bike looks tidy and in one of the best colour combos(y)

start a build thread and post pics, everyone likes pics

RTFR, and never refer to gsxf's as Kat's(y)(y)

Thanks for the reply. 

I've done loads of reading over last few weeks, but there is never a definitive answer, and I'm just going round in circles, hence the post. 

I'm trying to keep costs down, which is why I'm was hoping not to swap the whole front and whole rear. If I can do just wheels,  it's got to be more cost effective. 

Edited by icklepob
19 minutes ago, mark35gun said:

you can, as on mine bandit 12 5.5 wheel in stock arm, and you can definitely keep forks, i'm just not sure which model to use for a donor

Have you got the spec of the front sprocket to use ? 

What disk and sprocket carrier do you use with that bandit rear rim ?

3 hours ago, icklepob said:

I have searched, and have also gone round in circles, as there doesn't seem to be a definitive way to do what I'm after doing. 

Look harder. OSS is more than just a forum.

Click on "Oldskoolsuzuki.Info" on the top of this page. Then you will probably find this.

And welcome by the way

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sheep said:

To be fair seeing standard wheels on an EFE looks rather refreshing......maybe it's the sun getting to me O.o

I dont mind the style, I just want a better choice of rubber, and I get free 120 fronts and either 160 or 190 rears. 

55 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Look harder. OSS is more than just a forum.

Click on "Oldskoolsuzuki.Info" on the top of this page. Then you will probably find this.

And welcome by the way

Ah, I only look on my phone. On the laptop may show more, and be easier to find. 

Awesome, just what i needed. 

Thanks.