Suzuki GS 750 - Won't start and other problems

This god damn gear mechanism is stressing me out. I finally managed to make her run on all 4 cylinders (not really great but still something) only to find out that i have the next problem. I could only use gear 1 & 2 while driving her down the alley. 

Turned out that the spring wasn't in the right mounted position.

20200521_071220.thumb.jpg.7d86c521dc4415bd9308ed2e89bf36c5.jpg

After checking the manuals and the posts earlier i adjusted the spring and put everything back together.

20200521_084649.thumb.jpg.9a3a4dbd30d0acb891ac7f268d3c6c0e.jpg

Now the gear mechanisms works, but only with a little trick. Gear 1 & 2 are not a problem. But if want to shift to a higher gear, first i have to put a little pressure on the gear shift. If i don't, it simply won't shift to the next higher gear. Is there any way to fix this? Without taking apart the whole engine again?

I cant see behind it, and cant manipulate the pawl, to where it was, blind. So I need to remove the clutch basket.

Stopped today to borrow a clutch holing tool.

When I remove the basket, can I then remove the large cogged wheel behind, and are there circlips or fasteners?

1495900378_Inked20200505_133006.thumb.jpg.08708a096775b7d110339fc6a10883fc(1)_LI.jpg.ec19fed6beef1b7315b3220d3d731abc.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hariii said:

This god damn gear mechanism is stressing me out. I finally managed to make her run on all 4 cylinders (not really great but still something) only to find out that i have the next problem. I could only use gear 1 & 2 while driving her down the alley. 

Turned out that the spring wasn't in the right mounted position.

20200521_071220.thumb.jpg.7d86c521dc4415bd9308ed2e89bf36c5.jpg

After checking the manuals and the posts earlier i adjusted the spring and put everything back together.

20200521_084649.thumb.jpg.9a3a4dbd30d0acb891ac7f268d3c6c0e.jpg

Now the gear mechanisms works, but only with a little trick. Gear 1 & 2 are not a problem. But if want to shift to a higher gear, first i have to put a little pressure on the gear shift. If i don't, it simply won't shift to the next higher gear. Is there any way to fix this? Without taking apart the whole engine again?

Ok we seem to be neck and neck mate. How did the large cogged wheel come off?

Edited by bob654

Too be honest, I'm fine with the way it works for now. It's not that complicated putting a little bit pressure on the gear mechanism before shifting. 

But i also did some research in an other forum and whenever someone had problems with shifting, it was most of the time the fault of old clutch plates, especially the metal ones. That's something i will try in the future and if this does not work, i will let a pro have a look at it :) 

How  is your progress? Did you put the spring in the right position on the peg? Did you arrange everything like in the manuals? Still not working?

Nice, lucky you :) I adjusted the clutch as described in the manuals, but it didn't help. Next and probably last thing for me to do, is replacing the old clutch plates. 

I will inform all of you when i fix the problem. It may help one of you in the future

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

More than likely a notchy basket / hub especially if original ! If they are, then you could try redressing the faces - but it rarely works for more than a few months, replacement is the only cure (if it is that!)

Thought about that too and will have a look at it in the near future. Currently working on different things and the problem has to wait. Should i replace it with the original basket or are there other/better options? If it is that.

Cheers

Removed the basket today and it isn't as notchy as expected. I also made a short video while testing the shifting. At 30s you can notice, that something does not work as it should. Gear 1 and 2 are pretty much possible without a problem, but before i want to shift to gear 3 or 4 or 5, i have to put slightly pressure on the shift lever. Then you can clearly see and hear what happens, as the spring gets into the right place. 

https://youtu.be/jT-TIG2hQUg

Any guess how to fix that? And please excuse my poor english, but it is kinda hard to describe problems, i don't fully understand ;)