GSXR 750 cylinder head

CW1

Hey guys

I have a say what now!? 750 engine and I want to put the top end on the bottom end of 650 Bandit engine. One of the intake valves is quite badly damaged and needs replacing.

I have looked on a few parts websites but when I look up GSXR 750L the diagrams for the camshafts and valves show that the camshaft has 4 cams lobes per shaft (1 per cylinder) with bolt and lock nut.

Mine has 8 cam lobes per shaft (2 per cylinder) with shims not bolt and lock nut.

Could anyone shed any light on this please, I'm reluctant to buy a valve off them when the diagrams don't match the engine in front of me. I've the engine numbers from the say what now!? and it comes up with GSXR 750L 1990 but the diagrams don't match.

Thanks

58 minutes ago, CW1 said:

with shims not bolt and lock nut

That because you have a gsxr 750M shim head going by the twin lobes.

It would help if you upload a few pics though.

By the way take it easy with that slang term for GSXR, you may have noticed the site changes that word automatically for other words. ;) 

Untitled.jpg

Hiya mate

I just looked up the engine numbers online again and you're right the L and the M have the same engine prefix numbers, I didn't realise this and it had me panicking a bit.

Thank you very for your help it's very much appreciated.

Take care.

Colin

13 minutes ago, CW1 said:

Hiya mate

I just looked up the engine numbers online again and you're right the L and the M have the same engine prefix numbers, I didn't realise this and it had me panicking a bit.

Thank you very for your help it's very much appreciated.

Take care.

Colin

No problem mate. Don't forget that shim head valves for an M are different from lock nut head valves if you have valves to order. ;)

Edited by Jaydee

What is the motivation behind the head swap? If it's to up the power of a 650 Blandit, would the 750 engine fit the Blandit chassis? If so this would save a  load of hassel and expense, i.e. all the gaskets and seals needed for a head swap:) Or is the 750 bottom end knackered/incomplete?

1 hour ago, manden said:

I've got an 1990 750 head on one of my 1100 engines. And it is an shims head. 1992 was the first water-cooled 750

I think the USA got shims, a model year earlier than us in Euro land ie 'L' models were shims and their 'N' models had water cooling.

8 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

I think the USA got shims, a model year earlier than us in Euro land ie 'L' models were shims and their 'N' models had water cooling.

I've got a 92N oil boiler. Probable the last one ever in the states.  LOL.  It's a shim head.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 1:01 PM, Dezza said:

What is the motivation behind the head swap? If it's to up the power of a 650 Blandit, would the 750 engine fit the Blandit chassis? If so this would save a  load of hassel and expense, i.e. all the gaskets and seals needed for a head swap:) Or is the 750 bottom end knackered/incomplete?

I was given the 750 motor but when I put it in the frame the oil pipes fouled the exhaust because the bandit pipes attach to the front of the engine whereas the GSXR attach underneath. Also the insurance quote was completely silly. I bought a 650 bandit engine then found out that the barrels and pistons from the gsxr 750 bolt straight onto the 650 bandit bottom end which gives me gsxr 750 power but 650 bandit engine numbers and insurance.   

• Like 1