Alternative tank for a GSX750ES

HI all

I have searched the forum but can't see any quick answers to this.

I have an 85 GSX750ES, its been cafe'd by the previous owner so I'm taking it a bit further. USD front end, 750F rear wheel, single seat with loop at the back of the frame.

I was planning to fit a GT500 tank but its proving difficult to reshape the underside to clear the farme tubes. The front mounts are spot on but the back sits about 50mm too high as the fame is higher than the tunnel under the tank.

So any other alternatves that will be a bit easier do. The probelm with the ES tank is the hump at the back of the tank doesn't match a cafe seat, I'd prefer a more traditional 70s style tank from a GS.

Has anyone done this before and can guide me as to what tank will fit on with minimal mods?

Photos of the GSX tank and the GT500 tank attached.

20191221_194201.jpg

20200129_205341.jpg

1 hour ago, 60Greyhound said:

mine has a gt tank on it, the front mount was moved back and upward slightly which helps the clearance underneath.20190705_124452.thumb.jpg.bd23f210adef7804baec773be8881ab6.jpg

This pic shows where it sits, if you like I'll get a photo/measurements of the altered mount for you? 

If you could I'd be grateful, thanks

2 hours ago, wraith said:

Best way as you have both tanks is to cut the bottom off both and swap them reweld and away you go.

Did think about that but no way my welding skills are up to that so I'd be looking at getting a workshop to do it which would be mega bucks over her. :-(

• Like 1
17 hours ago, 60Greyhound said:

So it's been relocated approx 40mm back and 20mm higher, it actually sits in corner between the top tube and the webbing.

IMG_20200503_151054.jpg

IMG_20200503_151042.jpg

Great stuff, thanks for that, will see how it looks with my seat at that height. Much appreciated.