Oil Cooled Engine in GSX Frame

hussey1

I'm looking to put a bandit 1200 oil cooled engine in my 1983 air cooled gsx frame. Please could someone point me in the direction of the engine mounts drawing for this conversion, I'm aware it's on the site but can't seem to find it :( 

Any advice from others that have done this conversion would be appreciated, thanks :tu 

Edited by hussey1

make sure your exhaust will fit without having to weld stubs on,some of the mounts I've seen set the engine too far back in my opinion,we set mine up off the front mounts and made the rest to suit the motor,not sure how the ones on here work out exhaust wise,seems to me that it's making more work for yourself having to weld stubs on the exhaust as well,of course this won't matter if you are fabricating your own headers.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies and the advice on the brackets affecting exhaust headers etc..

I've had a look at the Katana frame brace post and read through it. Is this essential, will my frame bend with the oilcooled engine in if I don't brace it?

Only reason is I had the frame powder coated originally when I did the build so would ideally just like to swap the engine and necessary parts to do the swap. 

Here's a pic of how it currently stands

0A5933D3-7D57-45ED-B95A-7086EE872FAB_zps

• Like 2

make sure your exhaust will fit without having to weld stubs on,some of the mounts I've seen set the engine too far back in my opinion,we set mine up off the front mounts and made the rest to suit the motor,not sure how the ones on here work out exhaust wise,seems to me that it's making more work for yourself having to weld stubs on the exhaust as well,of course this won't matter if you are fabricating your own headers.

Have you had any rear chain /sw.arm issues with the motor mounted forward, Paul?

ahhh.... GSX750. In that case there will be no choice of engine placement (bit more forward or not) in the frame, oilcooled engine is a nice and tight fit.

All the drawings of engine brackets on this site are for 1100 frames and will be of no use to you. I think @Del has done the swap, you can ask him.

So Cap'n. Are you saying the engine bay on the 750 is smaller than the 1100? Thought the two frames would have been the same size?

Might be efe bodywork but the motor is oil cooled not air cooled so it isn't an 1150efe. The motor looks fairly tight in the frame so I guess it could be from a smaller bike. No doubt an expert will be along in a minute.

Front engine mounts are 10ft long - it's an EFE frame, engine mounted to the back.

• Like 2

I also didn't know till Hussey posted a pic

Apologies I should of said initially it was a 750 frame or posted the picture in my first post 

No, not noticably anyway. @Paulm runs his Turbo-ET without having it braced, stock engine shouldn't and won't be a problem.

Okey dokey thank you. If it is essential I would rather do it whilst I swap the engine, but as I said previously I had the frame powdercoated not that long ago when I did the original build.

Now just to sort out the engine mounts...

Not the same but similar - I put a GSXR1100 in my Z1000J frame (nice big hole to fill!), I started with the bottom mount. Threw the engine in the cradle and spaced it up so the bottom engine holes were central to the bottom frame mount holes to create a nice triangular plate approx 35-50mm tall. Once that was fixed, it was cardboard cutting time to create front and rear plates. Luckily on the Zed frame one of the kwak rear mounts was close the the GSXR engine holes and just needed a little fettling. As the frame got monoshocked at the same time, the shock lower linkage pivots were fabricated on to a plate with bottom engine mounts and work / mount in conjunction with the stock frame mounts. This resulted in slightly longer ex. headers and the sprocket not being hugely distant from the swingarm pivot. As the exhaust was a one off bespoke for the bike, that didn't cause a problem and the sprocket location never caused much issue this chain tension - tighten or slackening!

• Like 1

Apologies I should of said initially it was a 750 frame or posted the picture in my first post 

Okey dokey thank you. If it is essential I would rather do it whilst I swap the engine, but as I said previously I had the frame powdercoated not that long ago when I did the original build.

Now just to sort out the engine mounts...

Yep no bracing on my ET frame,approx 200bhp going through it,just sent it off to be painted,gave it a look over before it went,can't see any cracks or anything,it might get braced in the future as it evolves though,only for aesthetic reasons though as I like the look of braced frames,this is the reason it's being painted and not powder coated,it's easier to clean up and weld to.

• Like 1