This weekend I am picking up my dads late 80s GS 1100. It's been in a garage covered for 20 years.

Hey, complete novice here. As the title says , I am picking up my dads bike this weekend that has been kept dormant in a garage for 20 years.

I have a ton of great memories from my childhood of my dad picking me up on the bike from football practice.

My father isn't thrilled with me taking it but I eventually convinced him. He thinks it's a horrible bike to learn how to ride on.

He's had multiple back surgeries so that is why was no longer able to ride. When the bike was put away , it was in perfect condition.

What kind of work would I need done to make it usable?

Thank you so much. 

IMG_2905.jpg

Edited by Learning56
Added picture.
  • Like 3

Hi welcome to OSS, you will find a ton of material to help you on this site,

remember to RTFR,

as to the bike, full service, change all fluids, tyres, battery,  plugs, ,give it a good clean, see how it runs then take it from there,

post pics on your progress 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, R1guy said:

Welcome.

A general service, big bore kit and FBM draw through turbo kit wouldn’t be the worst place to start...

Ha ha ha, it took nearly 7 hours before that comment, i was wondering who would be the first.(y)

Anyway welcome to OSS, that bike will never be the same again, we will give you ideas.....

Hasse.

• Like 3

Hi and welcome. 

Expect to have to strip the clutch pack out for a clean and a good oil up before reassembly.

Then......

Replace:

the headstock bearings, wheel bearings, tires and schrader valves, brakepads front and back, sparkplugs and boots, fuel line, brake hoses front and back, brake fluid, oil in engine and front tubes, fuel, airfilter, battery , fuel tap, fuel shut off valves in the carbs / floats valves

Grease:

Swing arm bearings , clutch cable

Clean:

inside fuel tank, carbs, calipers 3x

Check:

Generator , all electrical connectors, valve clearance,  floatheight, groundingpoint negative earth for low resistance

Please don't be intimidated by this list. 

This is all well documented in the suzuki workshop manual or alternatively the haynes manual. 

A Professional workshop can do this in a full day if they ordered up the stuff upfront and have a ultrasonic cleaner.

A simple novice may take a bit longer but it is easy to work on these olders bikes.

Maybe dad can point / help out woth instructions.?

• Like 2

Welcome to OSS,

Can't add anymore to the above of what you need/should look at doing just to get it on the road.

When you do that's when the work will start, you will end up looking for more modern wheel,swing arm and forks and that's before you start on the engine xD