GS850 barrels and pistons in a 750

Havoc

20 hours ago, wraith said:

And you could not give gs850 engines away at one point.

And yes, the 850 barrels will go on to the 750 bottom end, but as @Duckndive said best benefit would be to use complete top end, gsxr750 zorst will fit the gs850 top end with a bit of a tweek and if I remember gsxr tin top carbs will fit.

A google search found a response you had given someone on the Proboards site which I passed on to the chap that was asking the question :) Thanks Wraith, and Clive :) 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, wraith said:

Ment to also say, look out for a gs1000 motor, they drop straight into gs750. The first 7/10 before every one got onto the gsxr7/11 ;)

Not sure i would bother with a GS1000 as oil burner more readily available and cheaper to tune, plus you might find Air cooled but good ones getting like Hens teeth :o 

1 hour ago, kiwi said:

Not sure i would bother with a GS1000 as oil burner more readily available and cheaper to tune, plus you might find Air cooled but good ones getting like Hens teeth :o 

Any of the bigger GS air cooled motor (good one ) are getting harder to find even the 850cc it's only the 750/550 you see that much of for sale these days, but the gs1000 are about ;) granted you won't get the power out of a gs1000 as much or cheeply as a oil cooled but it's not always about the power it's how it looks and sounds :D

I've got both a gs1000 and two ish oil cooled, keep saying I'm going to sell the gs1000 as getting to meany bikes to fit in the garage, but I then go and ride the GS and think I can never sell it air cooled are awesome (y)

Edited by wraith
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, vizman said:

But a gs thou is bitchin’

Vizzie cut me thru middle and it would read oldskool Suzuki GS/GSX i loves all my Suzook's, so yes i agree and rare keeps my stock price raising :D:banana:  plus i am creating Art with it nowadays xD

Katana plastics..JPG

Edited by kiwi
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, wraith said:

Any of the bigger GS air cooled motor (good one ) are getting harder to find even the 850cc it's only the 750/550 you see that much of for sale these days, but the gs1000 are about ;) granted you won't get the power out of a gs1000 as much or cheeply as a oil cooled but it's not always about the power it's how it looks and sounds :D

I've got both a gs1000 and two ish oil cooled, keep saying I'm going to sell the gs1000 as getting to meany bikes to fit in the garage, but I then go and ride the GS and think I can never sell it air cooled are awesome (y)

850's are still about for reasonable money. i bought a 26 thousand mile gs850 motor just before xmas for 150 quid, they suffer from not being a gs1000 so values are low.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2020 at 6:11 AM, Duckndive said:

I believe the simple answer is yes..

But to reap the benefit of the extra cc the use of the 850 top end with the larger valves and carbs would maximise the benefits

It was a popular mod back in the days of old "for some reason 850 shaft motors were easy prey"  

And after your yes another quetion automaticly will follow... How far can you bore those 850 barrels up? ;)

Bigger pistons close to 1000cc with the shorter stroke will give good properties most likely.. 

On 5/3/2020 at 3:10 AM, wraith said:

Ment to also say, look out for a gs1000 motor, they drop straight into gs750. The first 7/10 before every one got onto the gsxr7/11 ;)

Is that so?

I had a 750 and had that idea too, I bought a complete 1000 because it was cheaper than an engine, but after some light measuring, I thought it just didn't fit, that's why made my 750 redundant and butchered my 1000.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Is that so?

I had a 750 and had that idea too, I bought a complete 1000 because it was cheaper than an engine, but after some light measuring, I thought it just didn't fit, that's why made my 750 redundant and butchered my 1000.

Only reason I say they go straight in, is because a mate (over 15 years ago) asked me to give him a hand swapping the 750 engine out and putting in a 1000 engine in all want very easy, can't remember now if we swapped the front or rear engine brackets and the 750 air box didn't fit with the 1000 carbs which he was not upset about as he want k&n on it anyway.

I've also heard that some 850 top end will fit the 750 and some won't, must be some age/models that you can swap over and some you can't ;)

1 hour ago, wraith said:

........ the 750 air box didn't fit with the 1000 carbs which he was not upset about as he want k&n on it anyway.

It does. I had a 750 airbox on mine with 1000 carbs, fits and works fine.

Got a GS1000G airbox on at the moment with the CV carbs, which is externally identical to 750 box.

Slotted the mounting holes a tad, that's all.  :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Is that so?

Piece of pi55 built in a bedsit for getting to work on and USB many many sleeps ago  :)

only issue was lower crankcase mounts "i didn't bother" rest were stock plates 

1006523812_GS1000-1001-Copy.thumb.jpg.9c456fed7abb5c5f60e1ba5cf3ca3c74.jpg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, wraith said:

Only reason I say they go straight in, is because a mate (over 15 years ago) asked me to give him a hand swapping the 750 engine out and putting in a 1000 engine in all want very easy, can't remember now if we swapped the front or rear engine brackets and the 750 air box didn't fit with the 1000 carbs which he was not upset about as he want k&n on it anyway.

I've also heard that some 850 top end will fit the 750 and some won't, must be some age/models that you can swap over and some you can't ;)

I thought it might have been just a tiny bit too high, the cylinders I mean.

I couldn't be bothered taking the engine out, fit the 1000 to realise the engine wouldn't fit.

Should have tried then ;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

It does. I had a 750 airbox on mine with 1000 carbs, fits and works fine.

Got a GS1000G airbox on at the moment with the CV carbs, which is externally identical to 750 box.

Slotted the mounting holes a tad, that's all.  :)

Carbs of the 750 and 1000 are the same, even the same jetting if I remember correctly.