Bandit 12 plenum

Hi all

am halfway through the full bike rebuild and would really like to get the plenum made up ready to weld while I’m waiting for machining and powder coating to be done, the engine is all stripped so can’t mock up a plenum with the carbs mounted.

anyone have an idea on dimensions, am looking at using 3mm ally sheet.

12 minutes ago, BanditPervert said:

Have looked in the posts and can’t find the relative info. 

and why would the material need to be thicker than 3mm?

Probably because the plenum will look like it's about to give birth in no time. Think tin of beans in a fire.

1 hour ago, vizman said:

I didn’t say thicker....I said bigger.

And the OP didn't say it would be 3mm! You selectively omitted the word 'using' - language is such a tricky tool!

And as regards 3mm material being some way inadequate - no way! Avoiding large flat plates or adding bracing and it will be perfectly adequate - don't blame the material when the design is at fault!

I will happily take photos when I get back from work. 

I have done alot of research on the turbo build for the bandit and am preparing the engine for the increase in power, Busa pistons, studs, cam chain, all bearing and shells replaced, Td05 turbo with internal wastegate and a bigger rad. 

the problem I have is that I can’t mount the engine in the frame yet so don’t know the clearance I have available for a plenum. With it getting closer to summer, I was hoping to get this designed ready to strap on.

am happy to do the reading if necessary, just need pointing in the right direction.

Tomato Tomata . . . . . Let's call the whole thing off ! LOL!

Back to the original Q - without the engine and more particularly the carbs in position, no one can tell you what space you have to play / build in! By their very nature a plenum needs as much volume you can build in, but if you can't get it off the carbs once its built it doesn't work. Similarly some people have tried to balance inlet air flow across all carb mouths, some haven't (me included) - whether it makes a difference (I have EFI) I can't tell but it does introduce another space requirement into the design. You'll just have to search peoples projects and see if anything grabs your fancy and or get creative with cardboard and sticky tape - actually not a bad idea!

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 1

With Clive's pics and dimensions, and the pics in the Projects section, you should be able to construct a plenum to fit your carbs that should (note, 'should') fit your bke when it is all back together. But don;t blame us if it doesn't! :-) might be easier to just make up the plate to fit the carbs, and then wait until you have the engine in frame etc...

Clive that is a massive help , thank you.

i have all the parts ready to build the rolling chassis, and will be sending the engine cases etc for powder coating at the end of the month. 

iv’e read varying opinions on here about taking the pilot tube from the plenum or the charge pipe and using a carb jet to adjust. 

is that what the smaller pipe on your plenum is?

011FD733-6476-45C7-876E-070798F559CC.jpeg

CBD8008C-41C7-46A4-A04A-47AA02B4F0FC.jpeg

79C63730-C159-4F2E-B93F-86FCAD85C20A.jpeg

14 hours ago, BanditPervert said:

Ah I see, was this mounted on the charge pipe?

ive seen a few mounted into the silicone hose, how would you seal it if so. 

Don't place the Pitot tube in a silicone hose a) its not secure enough and b) it's a mare to make any decent seal !

• 2 months later...