Cylinder and sump full of fuel

Duckndive

ok i have just gone into garage as there was a stench of fuel to find bitz bandit sitting in a pool of petrol on further investigation its dripping from No1 exhaust and the oil level looks high so possibly in sump as well ...have removed tank and cleaned up "no i did not use a match" :S

now i,ve done a search as i thought it had been on before but to no avail 

so for the blandit experts is this normally a fuel tap issue, float heights or float valves . 

i checked the tap and it was not left in the prime position  

thanks 

All of the above.  If the internal shutter in the tap is stuck=bad day.  If the float heights are set too high a slight amount of fuel will run over in time.  If the float needle tips are wasted the it will continue to run over as well.  I would be more suspect of the float needle tips though.

Stock petcock? Might be time to swap it for a Pingle or a NOS if it’s flowing fuel while sitting in the “ON” position with the engine off. I haven’t used the bandit petcocks, but the rebuild kits for the GSXR ones are all garbage.

The float needle tips should also stop the flow if the petcock isn’t, so as said above, both should be checked. Sometimes a float can get stuck as well and will allow fuel to flow through, but the petcock still shouldn’t be free flowing. You should also plan on doing an oil change as there is definitely gas in their now.

you have 2 problems, the taps passing, normally due to the diaphragm, but at the same time one or more float valves is passing normally due to crap in the seat, if original fule pipes then it could be the insides are deteriorating and bits get in the float valve, or the valves are buggerd or the orings have dried out.

seen it several times and had it once when my very expensive pingle decided to pass fuel when in the off position..

Both faults have to occur at the same time to fill the engine..

as said you need to drain the sump and cooler as its all contaminated..:tu

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and excellent info ..:tu

Quick update "after thinking and doing remembering" 

coincidently today was the 1st time i have put more than a few litres of fuel in the tank and actually used the on position as opposed to res ...

just been and checked the tap and it passes fuel with no vacuum in the on position but not the res position . :S

so step one new tap on order and will remove the carbs in week i did clean them recently and checked the float valves and heights at the time and all seamed ok at the time but will revisit them the fuel lines were replaced at same time 

Thanks again DnD :tu

Bin the crappie bandit tap.  The vacuum system is garbage.

get a FZ/FZR/YZF on off tap.  No vacuum,larger bore,better flow rate, direct replacement,  only downside is no reserve.  They are cheap and plentiful ,  and if you really insist on having reserve, you can adapt the parts from the bandit tap.

They also give a bit more room under the tank due to a lower profile.

2B19E13A-0CEF-4102-9C60-39604D981D37.jpeg

• Like 2

Stripped the carbs and dropped them in the fizzy tank for 15 mins 

DSCN3010.thumb.JPG.2f8251493e943d8c5a5d837b9c704209.JPG

Checked all jets and airways clear , checked float valves and reset floats, etc 

Bolted on new tap "some excellent discounts on blandit parts at Robinsons" 

DSCN3011.thumb.JPG.0baf7e7816eb37d1bb00070d9f4366e8.JPG

Reassembled fresh oil "again :S" and all seems good....

Thanks for the replies after further investigation of the tap Mr Bean,s diagnosis was spot on fuel seeping down vac line ..:tu

As they say every days a Skool Day :)

• Like 1