turbo/EFI setup

15 hours ago, Screwriverracing said:

Thanks Arttu,

Come to think of it, I think I have one already fitted to the existing set up.

I am possibly  thinking of getting a megasquirt 3, what do you think?

or would the microsquirt do?

Microsquirt should be perfectly fine for basic engine management. Meaning it can control spark and fuel injection accurately enough for boosted bike engine. On top of that it can do some additional tricks too like boost control, quick shifter and so on. But it has somewhat limited IO capabilities so if you want plenty of this extra stuff you may face limitations pretty quickly.

If you want MS3 then I would recommend that MS3 Pro unit. DIY versions of Megasquirts (v2.2, v3.0, v3.57 main boards) aren't good for bike use IMO. They have lousy connectors, they are bulky and not water tight. In addition of Microsquirt and MS3 Pro there are some quite good unofficial versions for both MS2 and MS3 but might be better to not list them here.

• 2 weeks later...

A drill press is used for honing the intake boots . Set the depth to the edge of the inner rib . Plunge in drum sander and with your free hand .... make circular motions until the desired dimension is achieved . Complete all 4 intakes . Second procedure is the inner rib .....  since the drum sander I used was 41 odd mm......a quick plunge was enough 

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

Edited by no class
  • Like 6
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another one, 1987 gsxr 1100 -1307 c.c.'s

Super old school Hahn racecraft kit ugraded over the years, 4 injector model.

ecu is the old Accel gen 6, hilborn 48mm(?) throttle bodies (which are still available in catalog)!

RC 65lb injectors, dyna 2000 + ARC2 with 02 gsxr 600 stick coils

AMS 1000 boost controller - 3bar gm map sensor.

Kinsler fuel pump and aeromotive 1to1 boost reference fuel pressure regulator - starts @ 44psi.

Turbo? who knows- started life as a Schwitzer but has been rebuilt a few times with different housings and center sections. Plain bearing. Turbonetics rebuilt it last time and said it was good to make 450 hp but i think it came out of a truck or something- major lag!

394 Hp so far but i think thats about all its got in it right now.

And yes coil on plugs start the bike easier,  and run smoother all the way to 11.500 rpm. I will never go back to old dyna coils!

And yes, i use a top end oiler with the motor dry blocked with ZERO failures at that HP level and that HP number was at over 30lbs of boost. (Dick Speed high pressure oil relief valves)

Would love to try gsxr 1000 throttle bodies and a new ecu someday. The newer ecu's handle everything in one small box, fuel, ignition, data log, anti lag, etc. Seriously looking at DTA  brand ecu.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mikeyd said:

Another one, 1987 gsxr 1100 -1307 c.c.'s

Super old school Hahn racecraft kit ugraded over the years, 4 injector model.

ecu is the old Accel gen 6, hilborn 48mm(?) throttle bodies (which are still available in catalog)!

RC 65lb injectors, dyna 2000 + ARC2 with 02 gsxr 600 stick coils

AMS 1000 boost controller - 3bar gm map sensor.

Kinsler fuel pump and aeromotive 1to1 boost reference fuel pressure regulator - starts @ 44psi.

Turbo? who knows- started life as a Schwitzer but has been rebuilt a few times with different housings and center sections. Plain bearing. Turbonetics rebuilt it last time and said it was good to make 450 hp but i think it came out of a truck or something- major lag!

394 Hp so far but i think thats about all its got in it right now.

And yes coil on plugs start the bike easier,  and run smoother all the way to 11.500 rpm. I will never go back to old dyna coils!

And yes, i use a top end oiler with the motor dry blocked with ZERO failures at that HP level and that HP number was at over 30lbs of boost. (Dick Speed high pressure oil relief valves)

Would love to try gsxr 1000 throttle bodies and a new ecu someday. The newer ecu's handle everything in one small box, fuel, ignition, data log, anti lag, etc. Seriously looking at DTA  brand ecu.

I demand a photo of this motorcycle! And if there is a dyno. Very interesting project! Respect!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mikeyd said:

Dude I use a DTA S40 ECU on my injected katana.

Its a brilliant piece of kit and sorts out all my fuel and ign needs even though it is the 'basic' model.

The guys at DTA are really helpful and there is a useful forum too.

Cheers.

Skel.

• Like 1

High 8's in 1/4 mile - never went above 23 lbs of boost yet and thats with my fat ass on it (240#)  I will be out at the track a lot more this season. Leblowski, read my post above -not to sure about the turbo anymore.  those numbers were @ 31-32 lbs of boost looking for the ever elusive 400hp mark.  Whats cool is i switched to a cometic MLS head gasket this winter - (no more copper and no more o-ringed block) Had the o ring grooves decked out of the block and resurfaced the head, (I had no idea how important this was!  )Anyway with old setup (copper+o ring) i would blow the head gasket out at anything approaching 30 lbs of boost, now pushed it to 32 lbs and no problems at all. And cometic told me it is reusable although i don't think i would. Keep in mind this bike has shitty suspension and snowflake lock up. If i can find a few extra thousand $$$ this year, i need to do a swingarm, shock, gsxr 1000 front end, R1 rims, MTC gen 2 multi stage clutch, etc. I should have bought a boat! Then, after that, and another year, new turbo, new ecu, new header because the turbo sits too low and the oil return line is dangerously close to the ground (cant lower the bike much more).

• Like 3