Slingshot pump in tank

Hi all I'm in the middle of my 750 project and I've bought a external pump and malp regulator , but I'm thinking now besides using that pump and getting a return welded into the tank to get a damaged tank off something newer and cut the bottom plate out and weld it into my tank , witch would have the feed and return keeping it more tidy, I no it's been done but has anyone done it to a slingshot tank and any idea what newer Suzuki pump I could use in the k bike that could fit ? Thanks for any help thought it would be a nice tidy job

9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

The regulators are generally built into the in-tank pump assembly!

But for turbo applications you preferably need a boost referenced regulator. Regulators used on in-tank pump assemblies don't have that option. In theory you could use suitable regulator and still keep it in the tank but then you would need to route a boost reference hose inside the tank.

Or you could keep using a non boost referenced regulator and pressurize the tank by boost pressure. That should work too. Until the tank explodes :P

• Like 1

Yes I understand the boost reference thing but just adding an external regulator wouldn't achieve anything! You'll have to gut the pump of its integrated regulator and re-integrate the filters etc. They are complex pieces of packaging. If you are cutting a hole in the tank anyway i'd just use a std external pump but fitted internally, flow & returns and wiring pass through - sealing is the biggest problem though.

• Like 1

I believe Luke tried this with a few different pumps on his turbo bandit, but towards the end it looks like he stuck with an external walbro. He may be a good resource for the challenges, but I'm not entirely certain he still owns the bike (as it was listed for sale some months back). Have a read through as its a great reference for Turbo/EFI.

https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/3123-turbo-bandit/

Been watching a few videos of these pumps and I think it's possible with some work to remove the regulator and pipe it straight to my external regulator , or like you said fit walbro pump that just has the pipe fittings rather than a o ring fitting, thanks again il keep ye posted 

Roughly just looking at the pictures of most of those pumps is the sump part that that sticks out of the tank about two inches, doesn't look like I've got a lot of room between the bottom of my tank and the carbs bout a inch and half to be safe, if anyone has one and gets a chance to measure thanks 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:46 PM, davecara said:

A walbro 255 pump fits into a L0/L1 750 pump housing and has the same mounting bolt pattern as a K4 1000.

Less plumbing = less pipe work full of fuel exposed to the heat of an oil boiler, its neater and takes up less room. 

What I did on mine too. Mostly for the lack of room i have. External fuel reg still