GSXR 1052 slabby cylinders 2 and 3 have no spark

You need an analog voltmeter or 12vdc test light.  Connect the voltmeter across the primary ( red lead to org black lead to black) crank the engine for 5 to 7 seconds and watch the meter needle.  It should move from 0 to 10 volts during the cranking.  If not then the CDI is not switching the primary and the coil will not fire.  I will assume you've already verified that 1 and 4 are firing?

Captn thanks for the reply not sure which wires you mean. I have blue and yellow. Green and black coming from ignition pickup into cdi. Then four wires coming out of cdi to coil orange/white positives for coils and other three are black/yellow and black/white to coils and a white. Thanks

4 out of CDI - Orange / white = 12v + (single wire splits in loom to both coils), Black / white = ground / earth to frame / chassis, Black / yellow = Coil 2/3 & White = Coil 1/4.

5 out of pick-up case - Blue + Yellow and Green + Black are pick-up signals (two pick-ups) and Green/yellow? = Oil pressure switch signal to dash. This is for Slabby motors, Slingshot motors are similar except one pick-up is deleted so no Green + Black wires present.

Edited by Gixer1460
Corrected for slabby / slingshot wiring differences
4 hours ago, Captn said:

You need an analog voltmeter or 12vdc test light.  Connect the voltmeter across the primary ( red lead to org black lead to black) crank the engine for 5 to 7 seconds and watch the meter needle.  It should move from 0 to 10 volts during the cranking.  If not then the CDI is not switching the primary and the coil will not fire.  I will assume you've already verified that 1 and 4 are firing?

Hi have worked it out thanks.The coil that supplies cylinders 1 and 4 the meter is going up and down like crazy when turning over on starter but other coil nothing on the meter.Its looking like a faulty cdi? Any newer cheaper alternatives?thanks

3 hours ago, stellafella said:

have you swapped it with the working coil on the bike   ?

You've determined the CDI is not firing 2 and 3 cylinders coil. Now we need to see if the pulse from the ignition pickup is coming into the CDI. Refer to @Gixer1460comment about the ignition pickup wire color code.  This is the next test point.  You will need to check resistance measured in ohms as well as signal that is generated. Be back shortly with some numbers. 

Hi Captn I have taken the engine cover off to inspect the pick ups and I have two pickups and four wires. Two going to each coil.Black and Geen to one  and Yellow and Blue to the other.I have tested for resistance and both read the same.How to check for trigger readings? If I replace the cdi is there anyting newer I can use other than Dynatek?Thanks Greatly.

14 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

4 out of CDI - Orange / white = 12v + (single wire splits in loom to both coils), Black / white = ground / earth to frame / chassis, Black / yellow = Coil 2/3 & White = Coil 1/4.

3 out of pick-up - Blue + Yellow are pick-up signal and Green/Black = Oil pressure switch signal to dash.

If its a slabby then it'll have 5 wires coming from the pickup area

19 hours ago, jimbob1975 said:

Hi All, Tried to start bike yesterday and cylinders 2 and 3 have no spark.I have checked ht leads they are ok. checked coil by swapping for a known working coil.

orange and white supply has over 12v supplied to coil.What next?How can I test the CDI.Advise greatly appreciated.Thanks

If you know your coils are in good working order, then get the ignition pickup cover off and check continuity between the CDI and the 2 sets of pick up wires and the gap between the VR sensors and the trigger wheel. If youre happy with those I'd try a good known CDI and that'll narrow your problem down

• Like 1

Yellow and blue wires are the pick up signal.  Use the analog meter with it set to volts AC.  Connect red and black meter leads to the yellow and blue pick up leads.  Crank the engine for about 10 seconds and watch the meter needle.  It should move from 0 to 2 or 3 volts in a rapid sweeping motion.  If that tests ok the pick up coils are ok.  Verify the wiring between the pick up connection to the CDI plug is good.  Verify the black wire between the CDI plug to ground is 1 ohm or less.

I do not know of another ignition system for these bikes other than DynaTek.  I have ben running one and it has been flawless.  I could not find a working Suzuki CDI so I decided to go to aftermarket.  I have seen a common failure with the OEM CDI of the 2 and 3 cylinder transistor.  This causes the exact problem you are having. 

Hi All Just an update have sourced a working cdi and tried it and still the same so now looking like the ignition coil pickup.Obviously on mine I have two pick up coils. Could I use a later coil say from a bandit 1200 or a later model gsxr that have the single coil as they look identical?Cheers Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,After much head scratching and fault finding, finally got to the bottom of why cylinders 3+4 were not sparking. I had fitted an after market modern set of clocks.Somehow I had wired the trigger wire that comes from cylinders 2/3 coil into the clocks...... somewhere it wasn't meant to go! This resulted in cancelling out the signal, hence no spark! Now corrected and all four pistons firing!Hope this helps somebody else out!

• Like 3