Best engine candidate for boost?

I have a '77 750 build that I plan to engine swap and boost after I get a little riding in this summer. I was figuring a gs1100 or bandit 1200 for the swap but I am fairly new to the older bikes but was curious if there is a specific engine that makes a better choice for boost (head flow, bottom end strength, etc.)? I'll likely run a low boost setup on stock internals at first just get everything working then rebuild to handle more boost for that next season. 

• Like 1

Whilst many turbobikes have been built around GS1000 / GS1100 / GS1150 (or GSX1100 / GSX1100EFE) whilst strong, their press together cranks are their weakness and require rebuilding, welding new bearings for safety as even low boost can move them. Also there is the oil supply issue which, whilst can be improved with 750 pump gears, it doesn't provide excess pressure which would be an advantage. A slightly reworked GSXR 1100 or GSF 1200 makes a good base for boost, easily safe to 250hp in stock'ish form - forged pistons are a good upgrade whatever boost you plan, rods if you want to go better than 250+hp and personally I'd choose EFI for simplicity of plumbing and control potential - its nearly as cheap as a decent rack of new carbs!

• Like 2

Great reply, yeah I was seeing the oil pressure issue mentioned a lot with those engines. Since I am having to source and swap an engine anyways sounds like my best best would be a gsf 1200 from the start then. Which was where I was leaning anyways based off of digging around on here. 

I don't have any turbo bike experience but I've built a number of boosted drag cars. I am HIGHLY considering going EFI from the start because I am much more familiar with tuning it versus tuning carbs and would save a lot of hassle I believe in long run compared to getting into the carbs constantly to change jets, needle height, etc. 

• Like 1