Seat units

spiderpig

My 88 750 has M seat unit fitted. It wasnt done by me it was like that when i got it. They have done away with the grab rail and fibreglassed the panels together on the inside around the light so its all one piece now. With the seats off you can see the frame is narrower than the M frames but it works fine. Mine was converted back when the M was a new bike in the 90s!

Pilion seat and latch is fine. But i don't know if the seats themselves are from the J or the M. What i would point out is by not adapting the grab rail there isnt really anyting behind the seats holding it to the subframe, its worked and survived as its been fibreglassed into a one piece unit. None of this was done by me its how it was when i got the bike. 

If i was doing it i would say you either need to adapt grab rail as mentioned by @fatblokeonbanditor fibreglass it together like mine. I think its be a bit floppy other wise, and no one wants a floppy one.