to customise or not to customise? ....that is the dilemma

Dixie

Hi All

Been off grid for a while, hope you are all coping during these strange times.  Question, my 79' GS 750 is about to undergo an engine overhaul as its down on compression in 2 and 3 cylinders, something I've bored you all with before.  The bike has been dry stored for over 12 months now and I'm all set to get it up and running.  It's totally standard but I feel it just lacks that personal touch.  Paintwork needs sorting, tank has a few battle scars, it needs a new seat and a general tidy up.

So heres the question.... Do I?

A. restore

B. cafe racer

C. scrambler

D. soft cafe it, i.e clip ons, rear sets and a guiliari seat

Your advice would be good, but may fall on deaf ears, pics of examples would be good.  At present I'm on the edge of cafe racer.  Not really interested in selling it just want to enjoy and love it.

Keep safe and don't forget to wash your hands..(y)

Don't think you will get many going for A on this site lol. 

Not a sixties brit twin so not a café racer. 

Scrambler don't think so. 

Soft café racer lol. 

Last one sounds good more period custom modified with some slightly newer RWU forks, wheels and swingarm 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Fazz711 said:

Don't think you will get many going for A on this site lol. 

Not a sixties brit twin so not a café racer. 

Scrambler don't think so. 

Soft café racer lol. 

Last one sounds good more period custom modified with some slightly newer RWU forks, wheels and swingarm 

A is preferable to B,C and D but it's what's best out of four naff options. Would you prefer to catch: A) corona virus, B ebola, C H1 N1 swine flu or D Sars? Just to make it topical.

Edited by Dezza

Having read all of the above and having done a bit more research, I quite fancy personalising it so that the frame etc stays the same so that if I ever sell it all the original parts I'm gonna keep can be fitted back on.  In which case, does anyone do a seat and cowl that fits the full length of the current seat frame so I don't have to cut the frame.  I know there is the Giuliari seat and you keep the original light cowl, but just wondered about something a bit different?  The strip down is well underway, started yesterday and all that is left is the engine in the frame, the front forks and front wheel.

Keep safe all

• Like 1

I bought a 78’ 750 in march that had already been bastardised and messed with so I can’t make it worth any less luckily, and it also made it cheap! 

reversible alterations seem the way to go if you have all the original bits to keep. Gives you the option to return it to stock and flip it on if need be.

i am starting to pick bits up though, after pouring over build threads here and elsewhere on the wild world web for inspiration. Plenty more gs550/1000 threads that have the same basic design as ours which adds to the research.

I’m compiling a list of changes that will make it ride better hopefully. a gsx1100 swinger and torque link so far, and an oil thermostat to go with a cooler when I find the one I want! More so because of how hot it is in Spain.

yes the fitting shoes to the bench LOLOLOLOL

just like this slightly ga....  hipster with beard and braid who find themselves so great and too stupid are to turn up a screw... they bring their coffee racers (with which they drive top styled to the coffee bar) or the scrambler , or the bobber, or who knows what great names the boys have for their mopeds, to the service ...   if there kickstarter hits back is big howling, or the beautifully styled old norton does not start (what they always have so about ) , or even running out of oil, they are  are so disappointed.....  

also a fashion that goes over ....   or am I too old to understand such new fashions,  but I  do not need,  LOL   

Cheers, take care ride your bikes and not only do so ....

Uli