Bandit 1216 Turbo Build

Cheers mate thanks for welcoming me onto the forum. Just finishing up the shortblock for my turbo bandit 1216 build. Upon getting the shortblock together and all torqued to spec I noticed the transmission has a bit of resistance when turning. The final drive shaft spins freely with play but the shaft the clutch basket runs off spins with a bit of resistance. I'm curious if this is just normal or something to be concerned about I rebuilt the transmission entirely as my previous 3rd gear had voids in the casting near the end of a tooth or two. 

Also just got the head squared away, lapped all the valves and put new seals in as well. Also put in APE heavy duty springs. The stock retainers are a bit thin are they up to the task?

20200323_202306.jpg

Snapchat-1180682440.jpg

20200402_022448.jpg

No Class- Clutch basket currently is out, so oil pump isn't currently spinning with the drive-train. I'm going to chock it up to reusing the oil seal on the counter-shaft(09285-20006 part number) and deforming it a bit when pulling it off/reinstalling. The transmission spins smoothly once it's moving just a bit of resistance to get it spinning. I appreciate the quick response.

sorry to repeat the question but does anyone on the forum have experience using stock retainers with heavy duty APE valve springs? Most likely will keep the stock retainers just curious to hear of any horror stories associated with them.

Currently waiting for the cylinder to get back from the machine shop, barrels are already bored for the busa slugs but i'm having the block o-ringed using stainless wire. I told the machine shop to aim for 0.006inch  raised off the deck which is about 15% of the copper gasket's 0.043 inch thickness.

I've used std retainers with heavier springs in turbo engines without drama but they aren't high reving. The optional Ti retainers are primarily used in high rpm NA engines where the lightness reduces the chances of valve float IMO. If you are using std. retainers with bigger cams, i'd definitely keep the rpm's under control.

• 2 weeks later...

This engine won't see more then 11,000 rpm I suspect. The cams are stock as well so it definitely has enough spring. I was just thinking from a strength standpoint but the decreased weight makes sense as an advantage.

What are you guys running for head/base gasket sealents? I'm running an o-ringed block with a copper headgasket as well as an aluminum base plate and caught between a few solutions recommended by friends. I was recommended permatex copper spray, threebond 1207b, or gasgacinch so far. I'm leaning toward threebond 1207b for the headgasket and gasgainch for the base plate though I heard gasgacinch is good for headgaskets as well. Any thoughts?