Dyna 2000 ignition retard mode

Gents,

I've got my bike running, but when I set the ignition on the retard mode and I connect the orange wire to groud the engine dies.

This is what happened the first time when I had it turbo'od too, back then I thought I might have connected the wrong wire.

I did read the manual,  it says the orange wire is normally the side stand safety switch, but when set on retard mode, it should retard the ignition when it is grounded, but with mine it still works as the side stand safety thingy, I think..

Am I doing something wrong? Or something wrong with my CDI?

My knowledge regarding electronics is very limited, so I thought I better ask before I wreck it it completely. ;)

Thanks

There are two versions of Dyna 2000 - early ones were pre-programmed with fixed advance and retard curves, the later ones (2000i) were programmable and curves could be changed.

Early ones had the orange wire, later used a purple and a white. How are you testing this to get the results you are? What value of retard are you dialing in?

12 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

There are two versions of Dyna 2000 - early ones were pre-programmed with fixed advance and retard curves, the later ones (2000i) were programmable and curves could be changed.

Early ones had the orange wire, later used a purple and a white. How are you testing this to get the results you are? What value of retard are you dialing in?

I'm pretty sure I've got the old one, the white wire goes to one of the coils.

I was thinking of 8 degrees retard, 4 is the minimum, 8 is the next step up. I have a stroob to check ignition timing.

Edited by Reinhoud