Turbo oil return scavenger pump

12 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Mounted high is foolproof and will always work. Lower mounting must be pump scavenged - some like electric, me I used mechanical Emtes type as if the engine is running it will be pumping and 'unlikely' to fail but more involved to install.

Brilliant thanks,  that makes sense, cheers. how high would the turbo have to be mounted should I go with out one? its going on a 1100 slabby. also these emtes mechanical type ones- where are these available? thanks again 

The core centreline needs to be no lower than static oil level or just below. Any much lower and oil can full the core / bearings when engine off and leak into the turbine / compressor leading to a smokey start-up. Not sure on Emtes availability anymore - I got mine from NLR in the States many years ago, some peeps on here have made their own using mini bike oil pumps - do a search!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reinhoud said:

I was told that sucking the oil out of the turbo isn't too good, that the oil needs to drain from the turbo by gravity.

Therefore I made a breather in my little catch tank. It works alright.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Gravity doesn't really work if the turbo core drain is below the running oil level - its not a new phenomenon!

1 hour ago, no class said:
4 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Yes it can, mine drops it in the tank, from there it's sucked out of the tank. 

you must have that "new style" gravity defying set-up ...... O.o

I understand the solution but it does seem overly complicated! People often say the scavenge systems will suck oil from the bearings but I don't see how that is possible? The core & bearings are a sealed unit with oil in and oil out - if you suck oil out it has to be replaced via the oil in line which is pressurised to point of use and will also be acted on by vacuum from the scavenge ensuring oil is drawn into the bearings. Reinhoud's modification with an added breather just stops the vacuum so relying on only oil pressurisation for oil delivery - a moot point with roller bearing engines ! ! !

15 hours ago, Blubber said:

Would have helped if you posted these pics of your oil feed... eigenwijze Drenthenaer ;) 

20200328_213410.jpg

20200328_213346.jpg

Wie ben jij op MF? ;) Je vergeet koppig.

It's still just a scavenge pump..

The pump on the bottom plate is the turbo feed, the pump on the side is the scavenge.

It was a genuine question, I heard about it, and sounds like a legit thing, gravity drain vs sucking the oil out of the turbo, would it make a difference?

Edited by Reinhoud
15 hours ago, Blubber said:

Would have helped if you posted these pics of your oil feed... eigenwijze Drenthenaer ;) 

20200328_213410.jpg

20200328_213346.jpg

The weird thing is; of all the start up problems I had with my project, all the home made stuff worked very well, and that was actually the thing I thought I might have getting troubles with..

• Like 2