dual pass oil coolers

badger

so.............
I have steering issues using a stock oil cooler with top fed thingies. Im looking at side fed dual pass cooler which would solve a load issues and are hella cheap from that there china (free light beer face aids too). Its a bigger core to boot while should keep the turbo motor happier. 352x140mm 
Do any of you clever bollocks's know why I would run into any issues using one over a regular/ single one? I've read they can slow down oil flow a little but apparently helps a fair bit for stationary/ slow speed temps. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by badger
learner speller

It used to be upside down but doesn't fit with the turbo anymore, fittings touch the manifold. Width is the issue as my yolks hitting the 180 degree top fittings with little effort. Either need a wider cooler which means new brackets etc too and i think are fuck ugly or something I can side fit. I can't see why it would be an issue as regardless of what the cooler is doing (within reason) the hose is controlling the flow rate. 
I used to run a head cooler too but next to fuck all space now to fit that either. 

This explains it...... I tried and I didn't get my explaination 
 https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/single-pass-double-pass-triple-pass-radiators-what-s-the-difference/28862

3 hours ago, badger said:

Im looking at side fed dual pass cooler which would solve a load issues and are hella cheap from that there china (free light beer face aids too). Its a bigger core to boot while should keep the turbo motor happier. 352x140mm 
? I've read they can slow down oil flow a little but apparently helps a fair bit for stationary/ slow speed temps. 

s-l1600.jpg

It can't work any better than a 13 row cooler - it's the same physical 'real estate' so can't cool any better than that. In fact it'll probably hold more heat in its envelope and so cool slightly worse than a normal 13! And personally IMO a 13 has no place cooling a turbot in any situation - a 260 x 19 used to get hot enough for me! For the same face area and increased cooling either double core it for a 75% boost in cooling or add water !

14 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

It can't work any better than a 13 row cooler - it's the same physical 'real estate' so can't cool any better than that. In fact it'll probably hold more heat in its envelope and so cool slightly worse than a normal 13! And personally IMO a 13 has no place cooling a turbot in any situation - a 260 x 19 used to get hot enough for me! For the same face area and increased cooling either double core it for a 75% boost in cooling or add water !

The core dimensions are actually a fair bit bigger than a regular 19 row being 260x150. The dual one is 352x140. I think with the idea of it snaking though is it spends more time in the cooler making it kewl

• Like 1
1 hour ago, badger said:

I think with the idea of it snaking though is it spends more time in the cooler

The time oil spends in the cooler depends on the size of the cooler, not how many times it passes through it. The amount of oil going through the cooler is constant (determined by the oil pump), if 1litre/sec. is pumped into the cooler, 1l/sec has to go out the other end. If the cooler is 1 litre in size, oil stays 1 second in it. If it is twice 0,5l (double pass, same size), oil still stays 1 second in the cooler. Simples :D

• Like 2

Surely a double pass just means its 2 coolers of half the size with inlet and outlet on one end and conected to each other at the other end. You cant make oil flow to the end and then back the same way 

The amount of oil going through it and the cooling area is the same, only real difference is where the fittings are. Which by the sounds of it, is exactly what you need. Cant see any reason why it wouldnt work fine

• Like 1

Ok so it's a wide cooler - 50% wider and looking at the ports i'm guessing inlet @ bottom and outlet @ top? So although I counted 13, it's probably 14 allowing 7 x 350 + 7 x 350 = 4.90m of finnage. A 260mm x 19 = 4.94m of finnage so near enough 2/10th of FA difference LOL! But the end 'tanks' seem about twice the depth of a normal cooler, so effective matrix may be smaller than quoted?

I'd also suggest the connection tank is divided internally so the oil flows in a U pattern so not a double pass, just a single with a 180 deg. turn in the middle. Other than the connection benefits for your application, I can't see any advantages and some disadvantages if the area is actually less, but your bike, your choice :tu

• Like 1

The term "double flow" is term taken from industrial heat exchangers.  When our cooling medium is the air surrounding us, single flow or dual flow doesn't make much difference.  Now imagine piped in water as our cooling medium.  The oil enters the cooler inlet and makes a first pass across the perpendicular flow of cooling water, then it makes a 180 degree turn and makes a second pass across the flow of cooling water.  On a "single pass", the inlet and outlet are on opposite ends of the cooler; the oil only makes a single pass through the cooling fluid.

Air flow is related to vehicle speed, unless you add a fan.  The oil pump is a positive displacement pump, so oil flow is proportional to engine speed.  Your oil temp will be high due to turbo charging.  We could do a bunch of thermodynamic calculations to find the optimum cooler, but there are a lot of variables.  On a large turbo-charge engine, you should probably run the largest cooler that will fit.  If you are still running too hot, look for ways to reduce heat generation or increase heat dissipation. 

• Like 1