Engine install into frame

I want to know how the engines were installed into the frame when the bikes were built in the factory. This would give a massive clue as to the easiest way. Maybe this also goes some way to explaining why the slabside 1100 has a removable frame section and the 750 doesn't.

10 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

The last time I put the engine back in I put the engine on a wooden frame, sat that on a platform Jack and that sat on a skateboard ... it worked a treat, the skateboard  allowed me to move the engine around to line up the mounts - the lower rear mount with the spacer can be a pig.

Unable to weld I used same strategy ;)

20181118_154539.jpg

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Dezza said:

I want to know how the engines were installed into the frame when the bikes were built in the factory. This would give a massive clue as to the easiest way. Maybe this also goes some way to explaining why the slabside 1100 has a removable frame section and the 750 doesn't.

While the factory method may be interesting to us, I don't think it really applies to us.  The factory can dedicate lots of resources up front to facilitate a process which will be performed thousands of times.  Only the most dedicated OSS members do more engine install jobs in a lifetime than the factory does in a day.    

• Like 1
On 2/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, Dezza said:

I guess they must have hundreds of mates and shitloads of beer?

• Like 7
On 2/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, kiwisuzuki1100nz said:

Anyone had better luck with the lying the engine on the side and lowering the frame over it?

Just tried a trolley jack with bike in rear stand and it is a complete bastard to try and get back in as the engine wants to fall forward. Hence why I am keen to try the engine on its side and lower the frame on to it

That's the best way.

On 2/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, Dezza said:

Well i've not visited Hamatsu i have visited Triumph at Hinckley and many car assembly lines ££££ for tooling and mechanical aids is mega Trumpit use a lifer on the engine mounts to position the engine in frame that's almost effortless

so given the little slight build of most Jap workers i would expect they use similar tactics and the removable frame rail helps the process "it may even be attached to the engine prior to fitting"   Most of the newer buses and thous are simple drop frame over the motor builds so even simpler tooling wise

Small side note a senior engineer responsible for training line workers at a major uk car plant told me the task has to be able to be learnt and be repeatable to the correct standard in 20 mins .............9_9

Track speed is based on the slowest process on that build

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Well i've not visited Hamatsu i have visited Triumph at Hinckley and many car assembly lines ££££ for tooling and mechanical aids is mega Trumpit use a lifer on the engine mounts to position the engine in frame that's almost effortless

so given the little slight build of most Jap workers i would expect they use similar tactics and the removable frame rail helps the process "it may even be attached to the engine prior to fitting"   Most of the newer buses and thous are simple drop frame over the motor builds so even simpler tooling wise

Small side note a senior engineer responsible for training line workers at a major uk car plant told me the task has to be able to be learnt and be repeatable to the correct standard in 20 mins .............9_9

Track speed is based on the slowest process on that build

Slight build of the workers? No, they employ former sumo wrestlers who can manhandle the engines into place and provide them with loads of beer.

Or not.

Any modern manufacturer, including Suzuki, will use methods like the ones you just described.